The ‘96 Broadway revival cast album remains the definitive treatment of Kander and Ebb’s riotously arch score. But this Chicago is close enough, with Catherine Zeta-Jones acquitting herself best among the novice belters, even sans leggy visual aids. If you found the movie ”Class”-less, the album restores that cut number, and adds some lesser non-film bonuses, too – like a Queen Latifah/Lil’ Kim/Macy Gray hip-hop update of ”Cell Block Tango,” mercifully left off the end credits but amusing enough here.
(Chicago: David James)
Genre: Soundtracks; Lead Performers: Richard Gere, Queen Latifah, John C. Reilly, Various Artists, Renee Zellweger, Catherine Zeta-Jones
Posted January 17 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jesse Williams urges Americans to vote in powerful PSA
- Lifetime's Britney Spears biopic finds its Justin Timberlake
- Tom Petty named 2017 MusiCares Person of the Year
- The Weeknd ditches his former self in 'Starboy' video
- John Carpenter responds to supposed Rob Zombie feud: 'Let's move on'
- 'Arrow' season 5 trailer assembles new team
- Mindy Kaling, Emma Thompson eye late-night talk show film