The ‘96 Broadway revival cast album remains the definitive treatment of Kander and Ebb’s riotously arch score. But this Chicago is close enough, with Catherine Zeta-Jones acquitting herself best among the novice belters, even sans leggy visual aids. If you found the movie ”Class”-less, the album restores that cut number, and adds some lesser non-film bonuses, too – like a Queen Latifah/Lil’ Kim/Macy Gray hip-hop update of ”Cell Block Tango,” mercifully left off the end credits but amusing enough here.
(Chicago: David James)
Genre: Soundtracks; Lead Performers: Richard Gere, Queen Latifah, John C. Reilly, Various Artists, Renee Zellweger, Catherine Zeta-Jones
Posted January 17 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Agent Carter' takes on Tinseltown in season 2 teaser
- Idris Elba 'nearly died' filming 'Beasts of No Nation'
- Zach Galligan wants to return for 'Gremlins 3'
- Hear Erykah Badu and Andre 3000 team up for 'Hello'
- 'Gods of Egypt' director: 'Our casting choices should have been more diverse'
- Patti LaBelle spends Thanksgiving with pie fan James Wright
- Hear Sia's new single 'One Million Bullets'