The ‘96 Broadway revival cast album remains the definitive treatment of Kander and Ebb’s riotously arch score. But this Chicago is close enough, with Catherine Zeta-Jones acquitting herself best among the novice belters, even sans leggy visual aids. If you found the movie ”Class”-less, the album restores that cut number, and adds some lesser non-film bonuses, too – like a Queen Latifah/Lil’ Kim/Macy Gray hip-hop update of ”Cell Block Tango,” mercifully left off the end credits but amusing enough here.
(Chicago: David James)
Genre: Soundtracks; Lead Performers: Richard Gere, Queen Latifah, John C. Reilly, Various Artists, Renee Zellweger, Catherine Zeta-Jones
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!