As they watch what’s likely to stand as the strangest DVD special edition of the young year, All About Eve enthusiasts can choose from two feature-length commentary tracks. One, chattery with scene-specific gossip, is by Sam Staggs, author of the making-of history ”All About ‘All About Eve.”’ The other is shared by Kenneth Geist, author of a biography of the film’s writer-director Joseph L. Mankiewicz, who announces right off the bat how much he disliked Staggs’ book, then proceeds to grind his own axes with relentless tedium, and by Mankiewicz’ son Christopher, who wastes not a moment in telling you that he doesn’t think his ”cold” father was a very interesting director and that he prefers Howard Hawks. (It will not surprise you to hear that Christopher was a fan of the book ”Mommie Dearest.”) Buried beneath what adds up to more than four hours of yammering is, incidentally, a pristine print of what is, line for quotable line, quite simply the best-written Hollywood movie ever. Plug your ears to the extras, and enjoy every poisonously funny word of a flat-out masterpiece.
(All About Eve: Everett Collection)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Bette Davis, Anne Baxter, Celeste Holm, Gary Merrill, Marilyn Monroe, George Sanders; Director: Joseph L. Mankiewicz; Author: Joseph L. Mankiewicz; Runtime (in minutes): 138; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!