As they watch what’s likely to stand as the strangest DVD special edition of the young year, All About Eve enthusiasts can choose from two feature-length commentary tracks. One, chattery with scene-specific gossip, is by Sam Staggs, author of the making-of history ”All About ‘All About Eve.”’ The other is shared by Kenneth Geist, author of a biography of the film’s writer-director Joseph L. Mankiewicz, who announces right off the bat how much he disliked Staggs’ book, then proceeds to grind his own axes with relentless tedium, and by Mankiewicz’ son Christopher, who wastes not a moment in telling you that he doesn’t think his ”cold” father was a very interesting director and that he prefers Howard Hawks. (It will not surprise you to hear that Christopher was a fan of the book ”Mommie Dearest.”) Buried beneath what adds up to more than four hours of yammering is, incidentally, a pristine print of what is, line for quotable line, quite simply the best-written Hollywood movie ever. Plug your ears to the extras, and enjoy every poisonously funny word of a flat-out masterpiece.
(All About Eve: Everett Collection)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Bette Davis, Anne Baxter, Celeste Holm, Gary Merrill, Marilyn Monroe, George Sanders; Director: Joseph L. Mankiewicz; Author: Joseph L. Mankiewicz; Runtime (in minutes): 138; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted January 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- First Listen: Ellen Pompeo on Meredith's shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' attack
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Luke's daughter, April, and Mrs. Kim are back for 'Gilmore Girls'
- Kevin Bacon has a creepy kid in the trailer for horror movie 'The Darkness'
- Russell Simmons, Tony Rock to present All Def Movie Awards
- Everything you missed from Kanye West's 'TLOP' premiere
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996