What bleak economy? Designers are using pricey baubles as if it were still boom time. In addition to Victoria’s Secret’s diamond bra and Stuart Weitzman’s $1 million Oscar shoe (this March, look for a starlet in his $2 million shoe), Levi’s has created $85,000 jeans. The diamond-and-ruby-decked jeans will be awarded to the Super Bowl viewer who – using clues revealed in a game-day spot and online – guesses their hiding place. ”We’re in a cut-velvet economy,” says Carey Adina Karmel, co-author of Stylemakers: Inside Fashion, of all the excess. ”There’s a real psychological need to go to the other extreme and indulge ourselves.” So that explains those J. Lo and Ben shopping sprees.
Posted January 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Rick Ross announces 8th studio album and unveils new song with Chris Brown
- 'The Walking Dead': Lauren Cohan says Maggie becomes more of a leader in season 6
- Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá preview new graphic novel 'Two Brothers'
- Demi Lovato urges for mental health reform following Oregon shooting
- Rooney Mara on the Tiger Lily casting controversy in 'Pan': ‘It wasn’t great’
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' season 1: Exclusive Blu-ray and DVD release details
- See the new trailer for Bryan Cranston's 'Trumbo'