What bleak economy? Designers are using pricey baubles as if it were still boom time. In addition to Victoria’s Secret’s diamond bra and Stuart Weitzman’s $1 million Oscar shoe (this March, look for a starlet in his $2 million shoe), Levi’s has created $85,000 jeans. The diamond-and-ruby-decked jeans will be awarded to the Super Bowl viewer who – using clues revealed in a game-day spot and online – guesses their hiding place. ”We’re in a cut-velvet economy,” says Carey Adina Karmel, co-author of Stylemakers: Inside Fashion, of all the excess. ”There’s a real psychological need to go to the other extreme and indulge ourselves.” So that explains those J. Lo and Ben shopping sprees.
Posted January 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Alec Baldwin calls out brother Stephen during 'SNL' debate cold open
- Benedict Cumberbatch to host final 'SNL' before election
- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg set to perform in an opera
- 'Ghostbusters' director gets 'choked up' by supportive fans
- Miley Cyrus storms Virginia college to campaign for Hillary Clinton
- Lauryn Hill gives powerful performance of 'Rebel' on 'Charlie Rose'
- 'Jessica Jones' season 2: Showrunner promises all-female directors