What bleak economy? Designers are using pricey baubles as if it were still boom time. In addition to Victoria’s Secret’s diamond bra and Stuart Weitzman’s $1 million Oscar shoe (this March, look for a starlet in his $2 million shoe), Levi’s has created $85,000 jeans. The diamond-and-ruby-decked jeans will be awarded to the Super Bowl viewer who – using clues revealed in a game-day spot and online – guesses their hiding place. ”We’re in a cut-velvet economy,” says Carey Adina Karmel, co-author of Stylemakers: Inside Fashion, of all the excess. ”There’s a real psychological need to go to the other extreme and indulge ourselves.” So that explains those J. Lo and Ben shopping sprees.
Posted January 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Look, but don't retouch? What our female celeb photo fascination says about us
- Chris Rock and Tracy Morgan exchange comic haymakers in 'Top Five' outtakes
- 'Sex Box' react: Enclosed encounters of the absurd kind
- Buffy season 8 recap: 'No Future for You'/'Wolves at the Gate'
- Jennifer Lawrence vs. 'tabloid malarkey'
- 'Parks and Recreation': On the set for the last day of filming
- '12 Monkeys' boss on Cole's fate (Spoiler Alert!)