Mostly? Weaned on his stepfather’s Fleischmann’s yeast fortune, Botsford grew up in an Upper East Side brownstone with eight servants for his five family members. Deb parties, the transatlantic steamer ride to Europe, and the Yale Daily News’ ”Once Over Lightly” humor column variously made his coming-of-age to-do list. Sounds like fun… but its telling is matter-of-fact and dull. Moreover, Botsford’s stories of decadence connect only in the worst way with what unaccountably precedes them, a wan chapter on his WWII infantry service (on trying to find a rendezvous in Normandy: ”Looking for him elsewhere was hopeless – an aiguille in a meule de foin…”). At least the more interesting last half pitches intermittently gripping stories about A.J. Liebling’s photographic memory or Wolcott Gibbs’ acid tongue from Botsford’s 40 years as an editor at The New Yorker.
A Life of Privilege, Mostly Mostly? Weaned on his stepfather's Fleischmann's yeast fortune, Botsford grew up in an Upper East Side brownstone with eight servants for his five...A Life of Privilege, MostlyNonfictionGardner Botsford Mostly? Weaned on his stepfather's Fleischmann's yeast fortune, Botsford grew up in an Upper East Side brownstone with eight servants for his five...2003-01-24
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Gardner Botsford
Posted January 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Qs
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!