Mostly? Weaned on his stepfather’s Fleischmann’s yeast fortune, Botsford grew up in an Upper East Side brownstone with eight servants for his five family members. Deb parties, the transatlantic steamer ride to Europe, and the Yale Daily News’ ”Once Over Lightly” humor column variously made his coming-of-age to-do list. Sounds like fun… but its telling is matter-of-fact and dull. Moreover, Botsford’s stories of decadence connect only in the worst way with what unaccountably precedes them, a wan chapter on his WWII infantry service (on trying to find a rendezvous in Normandy: ”Looking for him elsewhere was hopeless – an aiguille in a meule de foin…”). At least the more interesting last half pitches intermittently gripping stories about A.J. Liebling’s photographic memory or Wolcott Gibbs’ acid tongue from Botsford’s 40 years as an editor at The New Yorker.
A Life of Privilege, Mostly Mostly? Weaned on his stepfather's Fleischmann's yeast fortune, Botsford grew up in an Upper East Side brownstone with eight servants for his five...A Life of Privilege, MostlyNonfictionGardner Botsford Mostly? Weaned on his stepfather's Fleischmann's yeast fortune, Botsford grew up in an Upper East Side brownstone with eight servants for his five...2003-01-24
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Gardner Botsford
Posted January 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Paul McCartney debuts new version of 'Tug of War' from forthcoming reissue -- exclusive
- Austin Mahone shares details of 'more mature' debut record
- Sofia Vergara channels Peg Bundy in Instagram post
- Jimmy Kimmel asks L.A. pedestrians if Barack Obama is a muslim
- Hear the melancholic title track off Patty Griffin's new album 'Servant of Love'
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' queens step into 'Golden Girls' shoes in honor of 30th anniversary
- Amanda Peet says Jon Snow's death ended her marriage (she's kidding)
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Alessandra Ambrósio, The Kardashians, Malin Akerman & More!