There’s something funny about Martin Lawrence, and it’s not his unstinting, hit-or-miss patter or his jerky physicality, which wastes more energy than the Cheney energy task force. No, the funny thing about Lawrence is he’s often paired with a partner (e.g., Blue Streak, Bad Boys, etc.), yet has no aptitude for sharing the screen. Playing overzealous security guard Earl Montgomery, he stubbornly refuses to jell with Steve Zahn’s stolid patrolman, who’s tossed off the force on Earl’s trumped-up brutality charge. (The two muster enough racial harmony to hunt up some stolen beer kegs made of space-age alloy – yup, you read that right.) Zahn, strapped to the straight-man gurney, looks perpetually on the verge of an aneurysm, relieved only by periodic slo-mo shootouts that set a new standard in post-Michael Bay preposterousness.
Genre: Comedy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Martin Lawrence, Steve Zahn, Timothy Busfield, Eric Roberts; Director: Dennis Dugan; Author: David Ronn, Jay Scherick; Release Date Wide: 01/17/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 91; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted January 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- The next generation of male pop stars, from Harry Styles to The Weeknd
- The slow, curious fade of the male pop star
- Final 'Dexter' book says farewell to serial killer Dexter Morgan
- Kel Mitchell talks return to Nickelodeon this fall in 'Game Shakers'
- Kevin Bacon, Neil Marshall, and the other Thor to attend Fantasia 2015
- Tatiana Maslany, Haley Joel Osment among cast for 'Locke & Key' audiobook
- Here's your best look yet at the very cool 'No Man's Sky'
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!