There’s something funny about Martin Lawrence, and it’s not his unstinting, hit-or-miss patter or his jerky physicality, which wastes more energy than the Cheney energy task force. No, the funny thing about Lawrence is he’s often paired with a partner (e.g., Blue Streak, Bad Boys, etc.), yet has no aptitude for sharing the screen. Playing overzealous security guard Earl Montgomery, he stubbornly refuses to jell with Steve Zahn’s stolid patrolman, who’s tossed off the force on Earl’s trumped-up brutality charge. (The two muster enough racial harmony to hunt up some stolen beer kegs made of space-age alloy – yup, you read that right.) Zahn, strapped to the straight-man gurney, looks perpetually on the verge of an aneurysm, relieved only by periodic slo-mo shootouts that set a new standard in post-Michael Bay preposterousness.
Genre: Comedy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Martin Lawrence, Steve Zahn, Timothy Busfield, Eric Roberts; Director: Dennis Dugan; Author: David Ronn, Jay Scherick; Release Date Wide: 01/17/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 91; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted January 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- Look, but don't retouch? What our female celeb photo fascination says about us
- Chris Rock and Tracy Morgan exchange comic haymakers in 'Top Five' outtakes
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!