When an unsuccessful auteur (Pacino) vaults to fame after his computer-generated ”synthespian” (Rachel Roberts) becomes a superstar, it’s an excuse for writer-director Andrew Niccol (Gattaca) to mock spoiled actors, bottom-line-crazy execs, and the gossip-drunk media. But a series of pedantic rants (beware the protagonist who talks to himself) and willfully stupid characters has Niccol’s plodding satire lacking much actual humor. Without it, it’s just synthatire.
Genre: Comedy, Drama; Starring: Catherine Keener, Al Pacino, Rachel Roberts, Jay Mohr, Rebecca Romijn, Winona Ryder, Jason Schwartzman, Evan Rachel Wood; Director: Andrew Niccol; Author: Andrew Niccol; Release Date Wide: 08/23/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 119; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted January 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Pearl Jam play 'Ten' front to back in Philly
- 'The Originals' boss on the difficulties of killing a beloved character
- 'The Originals' boss on [spoiler]'s heartbreaking death, hope for Davina
- 'The Originals' victim 'cried' over that tragic death
- Charli XCX releases sleek, dance-heavy video for single 'Vroom Vroom'
- 'Vampire Diaries' boss breaks down tonight's action sequences
- John Krasinski to star in 'Jack Ryan' Amazon series
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch