”Fill your hand, you son of a bitch!” that this is the most famous line Charles Portis has written causes grief among the Arkansas novelist’s cult band of followers. John Wayne immortalized it as one-eyed U.S. Marshal Rooster Cogburn in True Grit, the 1969 Western that he rode, reins in teeth, to his only Oscar. The quote comes straight from Portis’ overshadowed 1968 novel of the same name (Overlook, $13.95), a classic revenge oater that’s less about Rooster than Mattie Ross, the mule-headed 14-year-old narrator who recruits the trigger-happy gunslinger to kill the varmint who shot her father. Mattie is a Portis specialty – a dogged eccentric whose bratty unlovability never veers into grotesquerie, no matter how heavy things get. Even as she bears witness to jolting violence, she remains one of the truest of amusing teenage prima donnas in fiction. Walker Percy and Donna Tartt hold Mattie up to Huck Finn, while journalist Ron Rosenbaum compares Portis to Mark Twain in an essay that helped spark reissues of all five Portis novels. This is the last of those, capping a body of work as powerful as a killer lightning bolt, like the one that crumples a flying pelican right before the unbelieving narrator’s eyes in The Dog of the South, True Grit’s even-better successor.
True Grit ''Fill your hand, you son of a bitch!'' that this is the most famous line Charles Portis has written causes grief among the Arkansas novelist's cult...True GritFictionCharles Portis ''Fill your hand, you son of a bitch!'' that this is the most famous line Charles Portis has written causes grief among the Arkansas novelist's cult...2003-01-24Overlook
Genre: Fiction; Author: Charles Portis; Publisher: Overlook
Posted January 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- How Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, and other stars are celebrating July 4
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 50 Songs for 50 States: EW's favorite patriotic pop through the years
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Q's about Jace, Audrey, and a twist
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Eddie Redmayne, Eva Longoria, Flo Rida & More!