Hardie’s elegant, measured debut has a spooky, this-house-ain’t-no-home element to it that is reminiscent of Rebecca, if Rebecca were set on a small farm in present-day Ireland. Our protagonist (one hesitates to call such an emotionally calculating, coolly desperate woman a ”heroine”) is a recent widow, in need of a home and caretaker for herself and her badly behaved, perhaps psychotic, teenage son, Joss. She finds refuge with an unsuspecting but equally needy man, only to watch their relationship play out like a sinister game of Stratego. Hardie manages to construct a flowing narrative that pays as much attention to the enigma of relationships as to the surprising mystery at the heart of the story.
A Winter Marriage Hardie's elegant, measured debut has a spooky, this-house-ain't-no-home element to it that is reminiscent of Rebecca, if Rebecca were set on a small...A Winter MarriageFictionKerry Hardie Hardie's elegant, measured debut has a spooky, this-house-ain't-no-home element to it that is reminiscent of Rebecca, if Rebecca were set on a small...2003-01-24
Genre: Fiction; Author: Kerry Hardie
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- HBO orders David Fincher's 1980s music video comedy
- What 'Mad Men' owes to 'Scooby-Doo'
- Arnold Schwarzenegger acts out his film career highlights in 6 minutes with James Corden
- Ellen Albertini Dow, 'Wedding Singer’ rapping grandmother, dies at 101
- 'Django Unchained' actress pleads no contest to disturbing the peace
- Jimmy Fallon, Jack Black go to Extreme: Watch their 'More Than Words' tribute
- Jeremy Renner says he got in 'internet trouble' for Black Widow comment
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Gisele Bündchen, Patrick Dempsey, Rosamund Pike & More!