Hardie’s elegant, measured debut has a spooky, this-house-ain’t-no-home element to it that is reminiscent of Rebecca, if Rebecca were set on a small farm in present-day Ireland. Our protagonist (one hesitates to call such an emotionally calculating, coolly desperate woman a ”heroine”) is a recent widow, in need of a home and caretaker for herself and her badly behaved, perhaps psychotic, teenage son, Joss. She finds refuge with an unsuspecting but equally needy man, only to watch their relationship play out like a sinister game of Stratego. Hardie manages to construct a flowing narrative that pays as much attention to the enigma of relationships as to the surprising mystery at the heart of the story.
A Winter Marriage Hardie's elegant, measured debut has a spooky, this-house-ain't-no-home element to it that is reminiscent of Rebecca, if Rebecca were set on a small...A Winter MarriageFictionKerry Hardie Hardie's elegant, measured debut has a spooky, this-house-ain't-no-home element to it that is reminiscent of Rebecca, if Rebecca were set on a small...2003-01-24
Genre: Fiction; Author: Kerry Hardie; Status: In Season
Posted January 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Fall 2015 TV pilots: Updated full list
- Kanye West tweets apologies to Beck and Bruno Mars
- 'Agents of SHIELD' unveils new poster art: Here's 'Aftershocks'
- Elizabeth Hurley gets slap happy in 'Royals' clip: First Look
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller Wake halts production due to lack of funding
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in new issue of comic book
- 'Grey's Anatomy': What's next for Amelia and Owen?
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!