Are record buyers ready to go from J. Lo to J. Le? Juliette Lewis, best known for roles in films like ”Natural Born Killers” and ”Cape Fear,” is the latest thespian to eye a career as a rocker. She’s busy writing songs in L.A. with Linda Perry, the former 4 Non Blondes frontwoman who has remade herself as a successful pop producer and songwriter (Pink, Christina Aguilera). ”We’re real intuitive. It’s kind of a magical process,” says the 29-year-old Lewis, who covered PJ Harvey’s ”Hardly Wait” in the 1995 movie ”Strange Days,” sang backup on ”Feed the World” with an all-star vocal lineup that included Beck, and appeared in the video for Melissa Etheridge’s ”Come to My Window.” Look for her album to draw from varied influences, including Patti Smith as well as Blondie and the Cars, ”which are both cutting-edge, but poppy,” she says. So far, the actress has signed up drummer Patty Schemel (Hole) and hopes to also lure Beck, the White Stripes’ Jack White, and the Flaming Lips’ Wayne Coyne. But Limp Bizkit’s Fred Durst needs no convincing; he tried to sign Lewis a year ago to his Flawless Records. (She declined, saying it wasn’t the right time.) Guess Durst thought she was a natural-born crooner.
(Juliette Lewis: Erin Patrice O'Brien/Corbis Outline)
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- Chipotle essay contest for students lets winners get published -- on Chipotle cups
- Mariah Carey to perform at 2015 Billboard Music Awards
- Kygo turns Tove Lo's 'Habits (Stay High)' into the piano ballad you need
- Tegan and Sara, F--ked Up, and more join indie rock video game
- E! orders Jillian Michaels docu-series, comedy series produced by Joel McHale
- 'Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5' announced
- Mindy Kaling reveals cover for second book, 'Why Not Me?'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!