Are record buyers ready to go from J. Lo to J. Le? Juliette Lewis, best known for roles in films like ”Natural Born Killers” and ”Cape Fear,” is the latest thespian to eye a career as a rocker. She’s busy writing songs in L.A. with Linda Perry, the former 4 Non Blondes frontwoman who has remade herself as a successful pop producer and songwriter (Pink, Christina Aguilera). ”We’re real intuitive. It’s kind of a magical process,” says the 29-year-old Lewis, who covered PJ Harvey’s ”Hardly Wait” in the 1995 movie ”Strange Days,” sang backup on ”Feed the World” with an all-star vocal lineup that included Beck, and appeared in the video for Melissa Etheridge’s ”Come to My Window.” Look for her album to draw from varied influences, including Patti Smith as well as Blondie and the Cars, ”which are both cutting-edge, but poppy,” she says. So far, the actress has signed up drummer Patty Schemel (Hole) and hopes to also lure Beck, the White Stripes’ Jack White, and the Flaming Lips’ Wayne Coyne. But Limp Bizkit’s Fred Durst needs no convincing; he tried to sign Lewis a year ago to his Flawless Records. (She declined, saying it wasn’t the right time.) Guess Durst thought she was a natural-born crooner.
(Juliette Lewis: Erin Patrice O'Brien/Corbis Outline)
Posted February 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bobbi Kristina Brown’s family, friends gather to attend her funeral
- 'Game of Thrones' casts Ian McShane in season 6 mystery role
- Judy Blume comes to the rescue after man loses wife’s favorite book
- Valerie Harper gives update after health scare
- See Bill Nye read mean tweets about himself
- 'Days of Our Lives' exclusive: 50th anniversary to feature a killer twist
- Cara Delevingne laughs off that awkward 'Paper Towns' interview on Instagram
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!