Are record buyers ready to go from J. Lo to J. Le? Juliette Lewis, best known for roles in films like ”Natural Born Killers” and ”Cape Fear,” is the latest thespian to eye a career as a rocker. She’s busy writing songs in L.A. with Linda Perry, the former 4 Non Blondes frontwoman who has remade herself as a successful pop producer and songwriter (Pink, Christina Aguilera). ”We’re real intuitive. It’s kind of a magical process,” says the 29-year-old Lewis, who covered PJ Harvey’s ”Hardly Wait” in the 1995 movie ”Strange Days,” sang backup on ”Feed the World” with an all-star vocal lineup that included Beck, and appeared in the video for Melissa Etheridge’s ”Come to My Window.” Look for her album to draw from varied influences, including Patti Smith as well as Blondie and the Cars, ”which are both cutting-edge, but poppy,” she says. So far, the actress has signed up drummer Patty Schemel (Hole) and hopes to also lure Beck, the White Stripes’ Jack White, and the Flaming Lips’ Wayne Coyne. But Limp Bizkit’s Fred Durst needs no convincing; he tried to sign Lewis a year ago to his Flawless Records. (She declined, saying it wasn’t the right time.) Guess Durst thought she was a natural-born crooner.
(Juliette Lewis: Erin Patrice O'Brien/Corbis Outline)
Posted February 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Need to catch 'Empire'? Fox airing a full-season marathon on Labor Day
- 'The View': Rosie Perez says she would return for a 'visit'
- J.K. Rowling sorts James Sirius Potter and Teddy Lupin into Hogwarts houses
- Good news, Leslie Knope: Hillary Clinton is a fan of 'Parks and Rec'
- See a supercut of shrieks from Wes Craven's filmography
- See Toni Collette and Drew Barrymore in 'Miss You Already' trailer
- Zachary Levi will replace Josh Radnor on Broadway
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Laura & Andrew, Rihanna and More!