Those ”Chicago” show-offs aren’t the only actors who can vocalize on screen. For their third mockumentary (after ”Waiting for Guffman” and ”Best in Show”), Christopher Guest and Co. spoof folk musicians, playing three ’60s acts who reunite for a tribute concert. ”I wanted specifically to do a movie with music in it,” says Guest. ”And I happen to have a background in folk music – I was in a band called the Bluegrass Partners in 1966.” Though Guest, Michael McKean, and Harry Shearer – otherwise known as Spinal Tap – were already musically proficient (their ”Wind” alter egos, the Folksmen, even opened for Spinal Tap in 2001), some of their costars needed schooling in their obscure instruments. ”I don’t think I’d ever even SEEN a mandolin,” says Parker Posey, who had the least amount of musical experience of anyone in the cast, of her prop. ”I think I thought it was a ukulele.” Now, about that title: We’re supposed to catch a whiff of flatulence, correct? ”No, that doesn’t have anything to do with it,” Guest says. Really? ”No, absolutely not.” Wait…really? ”Nope. I’m dead serious. I would tell you.” We still don’t believe him. (April 16)
(A Mighty Wind: Suzanne Tenner)
Posted February 6 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Meet Stone Crandall, Chris Hemsworth's well-endowed hunk in 'Vacation'
- Exclusive photos and intel on new characters from season 6 of ‘The Walking Dead'
- 'CSI' casts 'Faking It' star Katie Stevens for finale
- Christina Applegate on turning down 'Legally Blonde': 'What a stupid move'
- The Chilean miners disaster story comes alive in first trailer for 'The 33'
- 'Banshee' confirmed canceled after fourth season
- See EWwy campaign posters for the best dramatic actor nominees
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Tyra Banks, The Madden Bros., Taylor Schilling & More!