The hero of Helgason’s sometimes ingenious slacker spin on Hamlet is Hlynur, a 33-year-old man-child lounging at home in Iceland with his mother and her new lesbian lover. He collects welfare, watches porn, dodges the girl who’s pregnant with his kid, and thinks too much. Way too much. Helgason’s writing is sometimes appropriately virtuosic, as when Hlynur contemplates nose studs or leap years or refrigerators or the Pope’s ”holy sperm keg” or the ”manless, leafless, birdless, insect-free ghost town” of Reykjavik. Published in 1996 and filmed in 2000 but just now translated into English, this is also, in many less agreeable ways, Iceland’s spin on American Psycho. Hlynur’s first-person spewings are often so incessant, static, untamed, and ugly that the book would lose little if it were 100 pages shorter.
101 Reykjavik The hero of Helgason's sometimes ingenious slacker spin on Hamlet is Hlynur, a 33-year-old man-child lounging at home in Iceland with his mother and...101 ReykjavikFictionHallgrimur Helgason The hero of Helgason's sometimes ingenious slacker spin on Hamlet is Hlynur, a 33-year-old man-child lounging at home in Iceland with his mother and...2003-02-07
Genre: Fiction; Author: Hallgrimur Helgason
Posted February 7 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- See the first trailer for Michael Bay's Benghazi movie
- Did 'Scream' just reveal the killer?
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!