The hero of Helgason’s sometimes ingenious slacker spin on Hamlet is Hlynur, a 33-year-old man-child lounging at home in Iceland with his mother and her new lesbian lover. He collects welfare, watches porn, dodges the girl who’s pregnant with his kid, and thinks too much. Way too much. Helgason’s writing is sometimes appropriately virtuosic, as when Hlynur contemplates nose studs or leap years or refrigerators or the Pope’s ”holy sperm keg” or the ”manless, leafless, birdless, insect-free ghost town” of Reykjavik. Published in 1996 and filmed in 2000 but just now translated into English, this is also, in many less agreeable ways, Iceland’s spin on American Psycho. Hlynur’s first-person spewings are often so incessant, static, untamed, and ugly that the book would lose little if it were 100 pages shorter.
101 Reykjavik The hero of Helgason's sometimes ingenious slacker spin on Hamlet is Hlynur, a 33-year-old man-child lounging at home in Iceland with his mother and...101 ReykjavikFictionHallgrimur Helgason The hero of Helgason's sometimes ingenious slacker spin on Hamlet is Hlynur, a 33-year-old man-child lounging at home in Iceland with his mother and...2003-02-07
Genre: Fiction; Author: Hallgrimur Helgason
Posted February 7 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- First Listen: Ellen Pompeo on Meredith's shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' attack
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Luke's daughter, April, and Mrs. Kim are back for 'Gilmore Girls'
- Kevin Bacon has a creepy kid in the trailer for horror movie 'The Darkness'
- Russell Simmons, Tony Rock to present All Def Movie Awards
- Everything you missed from Kanye West's 'TLOP' premiere
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996