The hero of Helgason’s sometimes ingenious slacker spin on Hamlet is Hlynur, a 33-year-old man-child lounging at home in Iceland with his mother and her new lesbian lover. He collects welfare, watches porn, dodges the girl who’s pregnant with his kid, and thinks too much. Way too much. Helgason’s writing is sometimes appropriately virtuosic, as when Hlynur contemplates nose studs or leap years or refrigerators or the Pope’s ”holy sperm keg” or the ”manless, leafless, birdless, insect-free ghost town” of Reykjavik. Published in 1996 and filmed in 2000 but just now translated into English, this is also, in many less agreeable ways, Iceland’s spin on American Psycho. Hlynur’s first-person spewings are often so incessant, static, untamed, and ugly that the book would lose little if it were 100 pages shorter.
101 Reykjavik The hero of Helgason's sometimes ingenious slacker spin on Hamlet is Hlynur, a 33-year-old man-child lounging at home in Iceland with his mother and...101 ReykjavikFictionHallgrimur Helgason The hero of Helgason's sometimes ingenious slacker spin on Hamlet is Hlynur, a 33-year-old man-child lounging at home in Iceland with his mother and...2003-02-07
Genre: Fiction; Author: Hallgrimur Helgason
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- USA's 'Mr. Robot' to premiere online May 27 via EW, iTunes, Amazon, among others
- Director Amy Berg talks about the need for more female directors
- 'SNL' host poll: How'd Scarlett Johansson do?
- James Taylor debuts Boston Red Sox song
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Let's talk latest shocking 'Game of Thrones' twist
- Kim Kardashian’s book of selfies is in good company
- Lauryn Hill apologizes to Nigerian fans with awesome acoustic performance
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!