Back in the mid-1990s, future ”Harry Potter” director Chris Columbus considered making a movie about the Marvel Comics crime fighter, a blind lawyer by day who kicks criminal butt in a Beelzebubbish costume by night. It fell apart, and not until Marvel came through bankruptcy proceedings a few years later did the project get a green light, with ”Simon Birch”’s Mark Steven Johnson in charge. ”He doesn’t have a Batcave,” says Johnson of the title character. ”He’s not a playboy, he doesn’t have a billion dollars. He just lives in this s—ty brownstone by himself, and he’s lonely and sad.” Until he meets his star-crossed soul mate Elektra (Jennifer Garner), whose nighttime ninja costume in the movie bears little resemblance to her revealing red getup in the comics. Garner prefers her black-leather look, since in the comic-book adventures, ”I don’t think that girl wears panties,” she says. Garner and star Ben Affleck did much of their own stunt work for a kick-fight courtship scene, and in general, the movie’s combat is more about martial arts than superpowers. ”Daredevil has the radar sense and stuff, but he’s kind of a normal person,” says Affleck. ”And [his enemies] are powerful guys, but they don’t have wings or shoot fire.” (Feb. 14)
Posted February 7 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Nicki Minaj drops 'The Night Is Still Young' video on Tidal
- TLC yanks '19 Kids and Counting' reruns
- Kanye West's 'All Day' gets misheard lyrics video from Joe Mande
- Robert De Niro to grads: 'You're f---ed'
- Kurt Sutter's new series a go at FX
- Mike Huckabee posts support for Duggars
- 'Tomorrowland': What did the critics think?
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!