Back in the mid-1990s, future ”Harry Potter” director Chris Columbus considered making a movie about the Marvel Comics crime fighter, a blind lawyer by day who kicks criminal butt in a Beelzebubbish costume by night. It fell apart, and not until Marvel came through bankruptcy proceedings a few years later did the project get a green light, with ”Simon Birch”’s Mark Steven Johnson in charge. ”He doesn’t have a Batcave,” says Johnson of the title character. ”He’s not a playboy, he doesn’t have a billion dollars. He just lives in this s—ty brownstone by himself, and he’s lonely and sad.” Until he meets his star-crossed soul mate Elektra (Jennifer Garner), whose nighttime ninja costume in the movie bears little resemblance to her revealing red getup in the comics. Garner prefers her black-leather look, since in the comic-book adventures, ”I don’t think that girl wears panties,” she says. Garner and star Ben Affleck did much of their own stunt work for a kick-fight courtship scene, and in general, the movie’s combat is more about martial arts than superpowers. ”Daredevil has the radar sense and stuff, but he’s kind of a normal person,” says Affleck. ”And [his enemies] are powerful guys, but they don’t have wings or shoot fire.” (Feb. 14)
Posted February 7 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- What to Watch Wednesday: 'Rectify' enters its final season
- Carpool Karaoke: Lady Gaga sings, James Corden wears meat dress
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Philinda finally going to happen?
- Adele endorses Hillary Clinton at Miami concert
- Stephen Colbert compares Donald Trump to Voldemort
- 'This Is Us': Dan Fogelman breaks down Jack and William revelations
- Trump-inspired 'Law & Order: SVU' episode gets post-election air date
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop