Like the plot of this Stephen King adaptation, there are two forces grappling for the soul of Lawrence Kasdan. On the one hand, he’s a guy with a rep for such adult ensembles as ”The Big Chill.” But there’s also Kasdan the geek – the one who scripted ”Raiders of the Lost Ark” and ”Return of the Jedi.” And to him, ”Dreamcatcher” is the perfect man-child cocktail. ”It starts out as a character story that I understand, but then it goes off into spaceships and weird stuff,” he says. ”It’s a real creature feature.” Based on the first novel King completed after his near-fatal 1999 accident, ”Dreamcatcher” is set during a hunting trip in the Maine woods where four pals had an alien encounter years earlier and where they’re about to have another. Not that costar Timothy Olyphant knew any of this when he arrived on the snowy British Columbia set. Sure, he’d read the script. But, he confesses, ”I didn’t read the book. It’s thick! I took a look at it and thought, God, I don’t know if I’ll finish this in time; I can put my energy in a better place.” Like? ”The NBA play-offs.” (March 21)
(Dreamcatcher: Doanne Gregory)
Posted February 7 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Welcome to Sweden' canceled by NBC
- Kung Fu Panda 3 filmmaker explains why Kai is the series' first supernatural villain
- Queen Latifah, Mary J. Blige to star in NBC's The Wiz
- Marvel's Jessica Jones is 'incredibly flawed'
- Want to buy Jesse's 'Breaking Bad' house?
- 'Outlander' exclusive: King Louis XV cast for season 2
- Matthew Broderick joins Broadway's dog play, Sylvia
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!