Like the plot of this Stephen King adaptation, there are two forces grappling for the soul of Lawrence Kasdan. On the one hand, he’s a guy with a rep for such adult ensembles as ”The Big Chill.” But there’s also Kasdan the geek – the one who scripted ”Raiders of the Lost Ark” and ”Return of the Jedi.” And to him, ”Dreamcatcher” is the perfect man-child cocktail. ”It starts out as a character story that I understand, but then it goes off into spaceships and weird stuff,” he says. ”It’s a real creature feature.” Based on the first novel King completed after his near-fatal 1999 accident, ”Dreamcatcher” is set during a hunting trip in the Maine woods where four pals had an alien encounter years earlier and where they’re about to have another. Not that costar Timothy Olyphant knew any of this when he arrived on the snowy British Columbia set. Sure, he’d read the script. But, he confesses, ”I didn’t read the book. It’s thick! I took a look at it and thought, God, I don’t know if I’ll finish this in time; I can put my energy in a better place.” Like? ”The NBA play-offs.” (March 21)
(Dreamcatcher: Doanne Gregory)
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!