Like the plot of this Stephen King adaptation, there are two forces grappling for the soul of Lawrence Kasdan. On the one hand, he’s a guy with a rep for such adult ensembles as ”The Big Chill.” But there’s also Kasdan the geek – the one who scripted ”Raiders of the Lost Ark” and ”Return of the Jedi.” And to him, ”Dreamcatcher” is the perfect man-child cocktail. ”It starts out as a character story that I understand, but then it goes off into spaceships and weird stuff,” he says. ”It’s a real creature feature.” Based on the first novel King completed after his near-fatal 1999 accident, ”Dreamcatcher” is set during a hunting trip in the Maine woods where four pals had an alien encounter years earlier and where they’re about to have another. Not that costar Timothy Olyphant knew any of this when he arrived on the snowy British Columbia set. Sure, he’d read the script. But, he confesses, ”I didn’t read the book. It’s thick! I took a look at it and thought, God, I don’t know if I’ll finish this in time; I can put my energy in a better place.” Like? ”The NBA play-offs.” (March 21)
(Dreamcatcher: Doanne Gregory)
Posted February 7 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode: 'It was an important one for us'
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' at 35: Horror director Ted Geoghegan pays tribute
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon take 'Roxanne' to barbershop
- 'Mad Max' gets the 'Mario Kart' mashup it deserves
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!