Like the plot of this Stephen King adaptation, there are two forces grappling for the soul of Lawrence Kasdan. On the one hand, he’s a guy with a rep for such adult ensembles as ”The Big Chill.” But there’s also Kasdan the geek – the one who scripted ”Raiders of the Lost Ark” and ”Return of the Jedi.” And to him, ”Dreamcatcher” is the perfect man-child cocktail. ”It starts out as a character story that I understand, but then it goes off into spaceships and weird stuff,” he says. ”It’s a real creature feature.” Based on the first novel King completed after his near-fatal 1999 accident, ”Dreamcatcher” is set during a hunting trip in the Maine woods where four pals had an alien encounter years earlier and where they’re about to have another. Not that costar Timothy Olyphant knew any of this when he arrived on the snowy British Columbia set. Sure, he’d read the script. But, he confesses, ”I didn’t read the book. It’s thick! I took a look at it and thought, God, I don’t know if I’ll finish this in time; I can put my energy in a better place.” Like? ”The NBA play-offs.” (March 21)
(Dreamcatcher: Doanne Gregory)
Posted February 7 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!