Comic-book movies? Dime a dozen. But a film based on a stick-figure book? Michele Alexander and Jeannie Long’s 1998 humor tome is now a live-action romance about a columnist (Kate Hudson) who meets an ad exec (Matthew McConaughey) and, in the name of research, proceeds to do ”every hideous, irritating, annoying, repulsive thing that a woman can do to drive a man away,” according to producer Lynda Obst. ”She calls his mother, she forces him to go to couples therapy, she brings a love fern to his house.” The role’s comic possibilities initially attracted Gwyneth Paltrow and director Mike Newell (”Notting Hill”). ”To get Mike to commit to a date was beyond my ability, so then Gwyneth took ‘View From the Top,”’ says Obst. ”Then we saw ‘Almost Famous.”’ Once cast, ”Famous” Oscar nominee Hudson prepped by spending a day with Vogue editor Anna Wintour. ”I tore out all of these how-tos in Cosmo and Glamour,” she says. ”Those are the kind of things that I skip over.” Obst almost skipped over McConaughey. ”[At first] we thought he was old for her,” she says. ”He’s 33, she’s 23.” The age difference never bothered Hudson, whose real-life hubby is Black Crowes’ singer Chris Robinson. Says the actress: ”I’m married to a 36-year-old, and it’s not like he’s ancient.” (Feb. 7)
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- Zack Snyder tweets new 'Batman v Superman' posters
- 'Fantastic Four' trailer arrives with hints of Doom
- 'Star Wars: Rogue One' will depict raid to steal original Death Star plans
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis: Now (Tribeca), then ('SNL'), future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!