Kevin Spacey follows up his ”is he or isn’t he an alien” drama, ”K-PAX,” with an ”is he or isn’t he a murderer” thriller, playing an anti-capital punishment crusader who ends up on death row. Kate Winslet is the journalist who becomes determined to free him. ”I think the nature of [the script], its political heart, [made it] not something people readily make,” director Alan Parker says, adding that it was ”a real page-turner.” Spacey too was less intrigued by the script’s issues than by the pacing: ”I have no dog in this fight about the death penalty,” he says. ”It’s not about a pro-con issue. It’s a great part in a great thriller.” Although Parker was aiming for an Oscar-qualifying run in December, the film was bumped to spring when the holiday market was deemed too crowded. ”Commercially it [made] sense,” he says of the delay. ”As a filmmaker, you say, ‘It would have been nice if it came out earlier, but you can’t knock [the studio] for their enthusiasm.”’ We’re just enthusiastic about Spacey’s assurance that, unlike ”K-PAX,” ”at the end you’ll find out everything.” (Feb. 21)
(The Life of David Gale: David Appleby)
Posted February 7 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- The CW moves up premiere dates for 'Jane the Virgin,' 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend'
- Jemaine Clement voices a 'mind-reading fart' in exclusive 'Rick and Morty' clip
- John Carpenter pays tribute to 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper
- Patrick Stewart on cocaine is hilarious in 'Blunt Talk' trailer
- Wrestling great Roddy Piper dies
- See the exclusive first trailer of 'First Times with Jenn and Jack'
- Lauryn Hill covered Nina Simone's 'Feeling Good'
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!