Think FedEx’s spoofy Super Bowl ad played like a deleted scene from Cast Away? No wonder. In the spot, a Tom Hanks doppelganger (left) returns an unopened package from his island exile only to learn it contains a cell phone, GPS locator, water purifier, fishing rod, and vegetable seeds. Turns out a similar joke appears on the Cast Away DVD, with director Robert Zemeckis riffing that the mystery mail held ”a solar-powered, waterproof satellite cell phone.” FedEx advertising director Steve Pacheco says he wanted to flesh out Zemeckis’ punchline and nod to the 2000 blockbuster. ”We still can’t do our jobs without people asking us what was in that box.”
Posted February 7 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!