Think FedEx’s spoofy Super Bowl ad played like a deleted scene from Cast Away? No wonder. In the spot, a Tom Hanks doppelganger (left) returns an unopened package from his island exile only to learn it contains a cell phone, GPS locator, water purifier, fishing rod, and vegetable seeds. Turns out a similar joke appears on the Cast Away DVD, with director Robert Zemeckis riffing that the mystery mail held ”a solar-powered, waterproof satellite cell phone.” FedEx advertising director Steve Pacheco says he wanted to flesh out Zemeckis’ punchline and nod to the 2000 blockbuster. ”We still can’t do our jobs without people asking us what was in that box.”
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- Jon Stewart's final 'Daily Show' to air Aug. 6
- 'Full House' revival at Netflix officially on; 13 episodes to arrive in 2016
- 'Inside Amy Schumer' renewed
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Our audience with returning queen
- 'Bachelorette' first promo: This crazytown ain't big enough for the both of them
- 'Originals' boss breaks down latest shockers, previews a devastating finale
- 'Ant-Man' gets a tiny billboard campaign
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Katy Perry, Tim & Faith, Blake Lively and More!