Think FedEx’s spoofy Super Bowl ad played like a deleted scene from Cast Away? No wonder. In the spot, a Tom Hanks doppelganger (left) returns an unopened package from his island exile only to learn it contains a cell phone, GPS locator, water purifier, fishing rod, and vegetable seeds. Turns out a similar joke appears on the Cast Away DVD, with director Robert Zemeckis riffing that the mystery mail held ”a solar-powered, waterproof satellite cell phone.” FedEx advertising director Steve Pacheco says he wanted to flesh out Zemeckis’ punchline and nod to the 2000 blockbuster. ”We still can’t do our jobs without people asking us what was in that box.”
Posted February 7 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Nickelodeon to air special series finale of 'Nick News With Linda Ellerbee'
- See Julianne Moore cry on cue for cash on 'Billy on the Street'
- Adele shares details about '25' outtakes
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki preview Sam finding his Castiel
- John Stamos congratulates Mary-Kate on her wedding with adorable throwback
- Glassjaw return with new song, reportedly from first album in 13 years
- Spike Lee: Donald Trump's push to close mosques 'like Hitler'