Antoine Fuqua, your movie ”Training Day” has just won Denzel Washington an Oscar. How are you going to celebrate? A day later, the director started shooting his next film, about a team of Navy SEALs (led by Bruce Willis) dropped into the Nigerian jungle on a search-and-rescue mission. A cocksure Fuqua must have strutted onto the Hawaiian set. ”Nah, I was scared to death,” he says. ”I wanted to keep up the quality of work!” And just as ”Training Day” wasn’t a simple shoot-‘em-up, costar Monica Bellucci, who plays a stranded doctor, promises ”Tears of the Sun” is more than a brash military movie: ”It’s not an action flick where people are just killing each other. It’s a drama about Africa, and not many people know what’s going on over there.” Fuqua had hoped to shoot the entire film on location, but the ”temperature of the world” kept him Stateside. He did insist on casting Africans. ”We brought in the lost boys of Sudan,” he says. ”We had people from Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Zaire. I mean, some of them had never been on an escalator or an elevator. A movie was like being on a f—ing other planet.” (March 7)
(Tears of the Sun: Frank Masi)
Posted February 7 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Gilmore Girls' Fan Fest happening in town that inspired Stars Hollow
- Video Music Awards 2016: How well do you know the nominees?
- WATCH: Winter Soldier has shield envy in 'Civil War' deleted scene
- Naya Rivera reveals she had an abortion during 'Glee'
- Cher slams Donald Trump as 'f---ing idiot'
- CHVRCHES cover Calvin Harris & Rihanna's 'This Is What You Came For'
- 'Nashville' star eyes exit as premiere date confirmed
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...