Antoine Fuqua, your movie ”Training Day” has just won Denzel Washington an Oscar. How are you going to celebrate? A day later, the director started shooting his next film, about a team of Navy SEALs (led by Bruce Willis) dropped into the Nigerian jungle on a search-and-rescue mission. A cocksure Fuqua must have strutted onto the Hawaiian set. ”Nah, I was scared to death,” he says. ”I wanted to keep up the quality of work!” And just as ”Training Day” wasn’t a simple shoot-‘em-up, costar Monica Bellucci, who plays a stranded doctor, promises ”Tears of the Sun” is more than a brash military movie: ”It’s not an action flick where people are just killing each other. It’s a drama about Africa, and not many people know what’s going on over there.” Fuqua had hoped to shoot the entire film on location, but the ”temperature of the world” kept him Stateside. He did insist on casting Africans. ”We brought in the lost boys of Sudan,” he says. ”We had people from Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Zaire. I mean, some of them had never been on an escalator or an elevator. A movie was like being on a f—ing other planet.” (March 7)
(Tears of the Sun: Frank Masi)
Posted February 7 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Fifth Harmony rock out in a haunted hotel in 'I'm in Love With a Monster' video
- 'Bones' taps Betty White as new squintern
- Angelina Jolie Pitt's 'By the Sea' will open AFI Fest
- George R. R. Martin says Stannis is still alive — in the books
- Michelle Pfeiffer to play Bernie Madoff's wife in HBO's 'Wizard of Lies'
- Post-apocalyptic survivors tool up in exclusive clip from 'Turbo Kid'
- New 'Homeland' season 5 trailer: Carrie can't escape her past
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Alison & Will, Julianne Hough, Rafael Nadal & More!