A snowed-in country house, a man with a knife in his back, and eight women – from the cheating wife (Deneuve) to the naughty chambermaid (Emmanuelle Beart) – all with motive and opportunity for murder. The most delicious thing about Francois Ozon’s Sirk-on-acid whodunit may be that despite a through-the-roof camp factor (by the way, it’s also a musical), the actresses inhabit the melodrama rather than just give it a wink. Which makes Deneuve and Ardant’s catfight-turned-kiss sorta mind-blowing.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Comedy; Starring: Emmanuelle Beart, Danielle Darrieux, Catherine Deneuve, Fanny Ardant, Firmine Richard, Isabelle Huppert, Virginie Ledoyen, Ludivine Sagnier, Dominique Lamure; Director: Francois Ozon; Author: Marina de Van, Francois Ozon; Runtime (in minutes): 111; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Universal Focus
Posted February 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman gets a tribute at the Indy 500--but it ends in a crash
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- 'Tomorrowland' leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!