A snowed-in country house, a man with a knife in his back, and eight women – from the cheating wife (Deneuve) to the naughty chambermaid (Emmanuelle Beart) – all with motive and opportunity for murder. The most delicious thing about Francois Ozon’s Sirk-on-acid whodunit may be that despite a through-the-roof camp factor (by the way, it’s also a musical), the actresses inhabit the melodrama rather than just give it a wink. Which makes Deneuve and Ardant’s catfight-turned-kiss sorta mind-blowing.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Comedy; Starring: Emmanuelle Beart, Danielle Darrieux, Catherine Deneuve, Fanny Ardant, Firmine Richard, Isabelle Huppert, Virginie Ledoyen, Ludivine Sagnier, Dominique Lamure; Director: Francois Ozon; Author: Marina de Van, Francois Ozon; Runtime (in minutes): 111; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Universal Focus
Posted February 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Cara Delevingne addresses awkward interview
- 'Gritty' take on 'Little Women' in development at CW
- Mia Farrow criticized for tweeting business address of Cecil the lion's killer
- Diva Layla El retires from WWE
- Woody Allen says private life doesn't resonate in his films
- 'Law & Order' director arrested on child pornography charges
- 'Secret in Their Eyes' gets new release date
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Tyra Banks, The Madden Bros., Taylor Schilling & More!