A snowed-in country house, a man with a knife in his back, and eight women – from the cheating wife (Deneuve) to the naughty chambermaid (Emmanuelle Beart) – all with motive and opportunity for murder. The most delicious thing about Francois Ozon’s Sirk-on-acid whodunit may be that despite a through-the-roof camp factor (by the way, it’s also a musical), the actresses inhabit the melodrama rather than just give it a wink. Which makes Deneuve and Ardant’s catfight-turned-kiss sorta mind-blowing.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Comedy; Starring: Emmanuelle Beart, Danielle Darrieux, Catherine Deneuve, Fanny Ardant, Firmine Richard, Isabelle Huppert, Virginie Ledoyen, Ludivine Sagnier, Dominique Lamure; Director: Francois Ozon; Author: Marina de Van, Francois Ozon; Release Date Limited: 09/20/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 111; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Universal Focus
Posted February 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- John Grisham's 'The Whistler' Chapter 5
- Cher and James Corden update 'I Got You Babe' with modern lingo
- Mass Internet hack the butt of 'Black Mirror' viral marketing jokes
- Critical Mass: 'Moonlight' shines as one of the 2016's best-reviewed films
- 'Timeless': Ian Fleming channels James Bond, meets trio — exclusive clip
- Christian Slater channeled his inner Ethel Merman for 'King Cobra'
- Lady Gaga: 'Joanne' sealed my Super Bowl halftime show deal