Unlike Disney’s other ‘toon-to-legit transfers, Aladdin is opening at a theme park, which does make it an ideal introduction to musicals for kids. It’s Broadway scale at half the price (free with $47 park admission), half the length (40 minutes), and less than half the risk of some Manhattan matron shushing your delighted small fry. Adult appeal is another matter. Anyone suggesting that this might eventually join The Lion King on the Great White Veldt has probably been rubbing a magic bong, because even if the flying carpet ride is as cool as it is inevitable, the show mostly plays out like one long Oscar production number. By the time the blue genie tries to channel Robin Williams with some limp J. Lo and Survivor gags, you’ll be using your third wish to conjure a City Center revival of Country Bear Jamboree instead. (At Disney’s California Adventure; 714-781-7290) For 8 and under: B+ For 18 and over: C
AladdinUnlike Disney's other 'toon-to-legit transfers, Aladdin is opening at a theme park, which does make it an ideal introduction to musicals for kids. It's...AladdinUnlike Disney's other 'toon-to-legit transfers, Aladdin is opening at a theme park, which does make it an ideal introduction to musicals for kids. It's...2003-02-14
Director: Francesca Zambello
Posted February 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Barack Obama slams Donald Trump at DNC: 'We don’t look to be ruled'
- 'Con Man': Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion want a ‘Spectrum’ movie
- See President Obama's DNC intro video, narrated by Bryan Cranston
- Michael Keaton on 'Beetlejuice' sequel: 'It's possible that ship has sailed'
- 'Another Period' guest blog: Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on latest episode
- 'Barely Famous': Sara, Erin Foster on celebrity stalkers, TV industry
- Lenny Kravitz asks to 'Let Love Rule' for DNC performance
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels