Atanarjuat (The Fast Runner), the first feature ever in the language of Inuktitut, is ostensibly about two Inuit families cursed to feud for years. Atanarjuat, a hunter, angers the tribal leader’s son by stealing a promised bride. As a result, he must escape into the stark, icy landscape of northern Canada. Director Zacharias Kunuk devotes long scenes to the tribe’s activities, like igloo building, often making his debut more documentary than drama. But he performs a rare feat, making audiences relate to and understand what would otherwise be an impenetrably exotic culture.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Peter-Henry Arnatsiaq, Grant Geissman, Sylvia Ivalu; Director: Zacharias Kunuk; Author: Paul Apak Angilirq; Release Date Limited: 06/07/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 172; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Lot 47 Films
Posted February 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Shia LaBeouf arrested in Austin for public intoxication
- The 'Robot Chicken' cast can't stop talking about 'Pretty Little Liars'
- 'Mr. Robot' cast reveal how they recover from intense scenes
- Fox cuts 'Minority Report' order to 10 episodes
- 'Con Man' panel fulfilled our 'Firefly' dreams at New York Comic Con
- Clark Gregg on whether 'Agents of SHIELD' will ever encounter mutants
- Watch Aladdin and Jasmine reunite for 'A Whole New World'