Atanarjuat (The Fast Runner), the first feature ever in the language of Inuktitut, is ostensibly about two Inuit families cursed to feud for years. Atanarjuat, a hunter, angers the tribal leader’s son by stealing a promised bride. As a result, he must escape into the stark, icy landscape of northern Canada. Director Zacharias Kunuk devotes long scenes to the tribe’s activities, like igloo building, often making his debut more documentary than drama. But he performs a rare feat, making audiences relate to and understand what would otherwise be an impenetrably exotic culture.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Peter-Henry Arnatsiaq, Grant Geissman, Sylvia Ivalu; Director: Zacharias Kunuk; Author: Paul Apak Angilirq; Release Date Limited: 06/07/2002; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 172; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Lot 47 Films
Posted February 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bruce Springsteen was the surprise guest at U2's latest concert
- What are the critics saying about 'Rogue Nation'?
- 'Descendants' react: What did you think?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!