Cinematic hits and misses weren’t the only hot topics at Sundance 2003. Swag, the freebies lavished on a select few, also caused a stir, with festival attendees hopping from party to party hoping to snag the best loot. Booty ranged from items like the official Sundance DUCTI wallet (made from duct tape), to eco-maestro Danny Seo’s ”Fur Free” ski hats and accessories (sported by Mena Suvari and Zooey Deschanel), to Xboxes (Tatum O’Neal scored two for her sons) and extravagant gift bags. Hope Davis oohed and ahhed over Self magazine’s sporty red yoga-kit sack, but no satchel was as coveted as the Sundance Channel’s brown suede Kenneth Cole duffel stuffed with $3,000 worth of goodies, including a year’s membership to Crunch Fitness. ”We wanted to give the indie filmmakers something lighthearted and entertaining [to] soothe their stress,” says Sundance Channel marketing VP Kirk Iwanowski. For some, the bags were all about regifting. ”My relatives will be getting most of this,” confided festival goer and Spun star John Leguizamo. ”Swag: s – - we all get. That’s what it stands for.”
Posted February 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Dave Grohl covers Neil Young with members of Blind Melon and Pearl Jam
- 'Boulevard' director on working with Robin Williams: 'I couldn't have loved him more'
- 'Rise of the Tomb Raider' exclusive images
- Read an exclusive excerpt from Katherine Howe's ghostly love story 'The Appearance of Annie Van Sinderen'
- Chinese filmmaker denies ripping off 'Cars'
- Watch your emotions get dramatic in 'Inside Out' and 'Inception' mashup trailer
- 'Doctor Who' stars lend voices to 'Lego Dimensions' game
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!