Cinematic hits and misses weren’t the only hot topics at Sundance 2003. Swag, the freebies lavished on a select few, also caused a stir, with festival attendees hopping from party to party hoping to snag the best loot. Booty ranged from items like the official Sundance DUCTI wallet (made from duct tape), to eco-maestro Danny Seo’s ”Fur Free” ski hats and accessories (sported by Mena Suvari and Zooey Deschanel), to Xboxes (Tatum O’Neal scored two for her sons) and extravagant gift bags. Hope Davis oohed and ahhed over Self magazine’s sporty red yoga-kit sack, but no satchel was as coveted as the Sundance Channel’s brown suede Kenneth Cole duffel stuffed with $3,000 worth of goodies, including a year’s membership to Crunch Fitness. ”We wanted to give the indie filmmakers something lighthearted and entertaining [to] soothe their stress,” says Sundance Channel marketing VP Kirk Iwanowski. For some, the bags were all about regifting. ”My relatives will be getting most of this,” confided festival goer and Spun star John Leguizamo. ”Swag: s – - we all get. That’s what it stands for.”
Posted February 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!