It’s 1910 in Russia, Leo Tolstoy is dying in the remote town of Astapovo, and the modern media apparatus is waiting to be born. In chronicling the novelist’s death, young cinematographer Nikolai Gribshin discovers elation in both the tricks of his trade and his presence at the center of history. (His creator, an acclaimed short-story writer, also gets carried away by the sweep of the events, sometimes to jarring effect. One comrade to another on young Stalin: ”He’s the most reckless, untrustworthy, impudent revolutionist that there ever was!”) While Nikolai seems to evolve into one Comrade Astapov, a bureaucrat charged with ”conquering the Russian imagination,” his cool appraisals of propagandistic intrigue remain dry and precise.
The Commissariat of Enlightenment It's 1910 in Russia, Leo Tolstoy is dying in the remote town of Astapovo, and the modern media apparatus is waiting to be born. In chronicling the...The Commissariat of EnlightenmentFictionKen Kalfus It's 1910 in Russia, Leo Tolstoy is dying in the remote town of Astapovo, and the modern media apparatus is waiting to be born. In chronicling the...2003-02-14Ecco Press
Genre: Fiction; Author: Ken Kalfus; Publisher: Ecco Press
Posted February 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Breaking Bad' actor calls for more people with disabilities in Hollywood
- WATCH: Exclusive clip from 'Light Between Oceans'
- Stars put Jimmy Fallon to shame in dramatic game of Musical Beers
- The Must List: Sunday's VMAs, new Frank Ocean, and more
- Dave Grohl and Prophets of Rage cover the MC5's 'Kick Out the Jams'
- Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, 'Seinfeld' cast 'bonked' by Jimmy Fallon
- Seth Meyers revises offer for Donald Trump show 'Chicago President'
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...