Dirty cops stink up the joint in Rankin’s new mystery, the latest installment in his Inspector Rebus series. For those new to Rebus, he’s a gruff Scottish detective, an appealing misanthrope who smokes and drinks and swears too much. Here, he’s sent to a reform school for unruly cops in a ruse to uncover a nasty case of internal shenanigans. His new classmates, a rough, nicotine-stained lot, may be responsible for the murder of a powerful art dealer. Rankin knows how to set a gritty mood, but this isn’t his best work. Too many of the chapters end with ellipses, a dead giveaway that a writer is forcing suspense rather than feeding it.
Resurrection Men: An Inspector Rebus Novel Dirty cops stink up the joint in Rankin's new mystery, the latest installment in his Inspector Rebus series. For those new to Rebus, he's a gruff...Resurrection Men: An Inspector Rebus NovelFictionIan Rankin Dirty cops stink up the joint in Rankin's new mystery, the latest installment in his Inspector Rebus series. For those new to Rebus, he's a gruff...2003-02-14
Genre: Fiction; Author: Ian Rankin
Posted February 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt blazes through aptitude test in 'Snowden' clip
- Jon Favreau to direct Seth MacFarlane's space-set comedic drama 'Orville'
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj are reuniting for another VMAs performance
- VMAs: DJ Khaled, Key and Peele, Jay Pharoah to cover show in lieu of host
- Christoph Waltz in talks for James Cameron's 'Alita: Battle Angel'
- 'Doctor Strange' recruits 'Community' creator Dan Harmon for script assist
- 'Fuller House': Candace Cameron Bure, NKOTB star recreate adorable photo
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...