Dirty cops stink up the joint in Rankin’s new mystery, the latest installment in his Inspector Rebus series. For those new to Rebus, he’s a gruff Scottish detective, an appealing misanthrope who smokes and drinks and swears too much. Here, he’s sent to a reform school for unruly cops in a ruse to uncover a nasty case of internal shenanigans. His new classmates, a rough, nicotine-stained lot, may be responsible for the murder of a powerful art dealer. Rankin knows how to set a gritty mood, but this isn’t his best work. Too many of the chapters end with ellipses, a dead giveaway that a writer is forcing suspense rather than feeding it.
Resurrection Men: An Inspector Rebus Novel Dirty cops stink up the joint in Rankin's new mystery, the latest installment in his Inspector Rebus series. For those new to Rebus, he's a gruff...Resurrection Men: An Inspector Rebus NovelFictionIan Rankin Dirty cops stink up the joint in Rankin's new mystery, the latest installment in his Inspector Rebus series. For those new to Rebus, he's a gruff...2003-02-14
Genre: Fiction; Author: Ian Rankin
Posted February 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!