Dylan’s song, ”Cross the Green Mountain” for the Civil War pic ”Gods and Generals” reflects on mortality, like 1997’s ”Time Out of Mind,” but leaves the ominous production and brooding behind. ”Memories linger, sad yet sweet/And I think of the souls in heaven who we’ll meet,” he croaks, sounding optimistic and resigned. His voice is shot and the melody’s a bit maudlin, but Dylan remains an unmatched poet. We hope he doesn’t cross the green mountain anytime soon.
(Bob Dylan: AFP PHOTO/Hector MATA/NewsCom)
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Bob Dylan; Producer (group): Sony Music; Status: In Season
Posted February 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sex Box' react: Enclosed encounters of the absurd kind
- Buffy season 8 recap: 'No Future for You'/'Wolves at the Gate'
- Jennifer Lawrence vs. 'tabloid malarkey'
- 'Parks and Recreation': On the set for the last day of filming
- '12 Monkeys' boss on Cole's fate (Spoiler Alert!)
- EW recommends: Bieber, baseball, and Broadway
- Casting Net: Leonardo DiCaprio to play multiple personalities in The Crowded Room