Rumspringa, the period during which Amish youth are set free to explore – and boy, do they – the ”English,” or outside, world before joining the church, challenges our picturesque notions of a sect more associated with bonnets and buggies than with cars and drug dealers. Witness it ain’t, but Playground gives an unprecedented view into the good (simple life, sense of community) and bad (limited education, extreme conformity) of Amish life through the experiences of these oh-so-suddenly modern kids.
Devil's PlaygroundRumspringa, the period during which Amish youth are set free to explore -- and boy, do they -- the ''English,'' or outside, world before joining the...Devil's PlaygroundDocumentaryRumspringa, the period during which Amish youth are set free to explore -- and boy, do they -- the ''English,'' or outside, world before joining the...2003-02-21
Genre: Documentary; Director: Lucy Walker; Producer (person): Steven Cantor, Daniel Laikind
Posted February 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Josh Trank says 'Fantastic Four' will be 'multipower slugfest'
- New 'witch noir' comic 'Black Magick' casts a spell -- exclusive first look
- Ben Affleck on being cast as Batman: 'My first reaction was, 'Are you sure?''
- 'Maze Runner': Dylan O'Brien in new 'Scorch Trials' photo
- 13 reasons why 'Fast & Furious 6' has the greatest barbecue
Shark Week 2015:
Eli Roth previews Shark After Dark
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Agent Carter,' 'Hawaii Five-0,' 'You’re the Worst' and more
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!