Rumspringa, the period during which Amish youth are set free to explore – and boy, do they – the ”English,” or outside, world before joining the church, challenges our picturesque notions of a sect more associated with bonnets and buggies than with cars and drug dealers. Witness it ain’t, but Playground gives an unprecedented view into the good (simple life, sense of community) and bad (limited education, extreme conformity) of Amish life through the experiences of these oh-so-suddenly modern kids.
Devil's PlaygroundRumspringa, the period during which Amish youth are set free to explore -- and boy, do they -- the ''English,'' or outside, world before joining the...Devil's PlaygroundDocumentaryRumspringa, the period during which Amish youth are set free to explore -- and boy, do they -- the ''English,'' or outside, world before joining the...2003-02-21
Genre: Documentary; Director: Lucy Walker; Producer (person): Steven Cantor, Daniel Laikind
Posted February 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman gets a tribute at the Indy 500--but it ends in a crash
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- ‘Tomorrowland’ leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Dave Grohl joins Paul McCartney on London stage: Watch
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!