Rumspringa, the period during which Amish youth are set free to explore – and boy, do they – the ”English,” or outside, world before joining the church, challenges our picturesque notions of a sect more associated with bonnets and buggies than with cars and drug dealers. Witness it ain’t, but Playground gives an unprecedented view into the good (simple life, sense of community) and bad (limited education, extreme conformity) of Amish life through the experiences of these oh-so-suddenly modern kids.
Devil's PlaygroundRumspringa, the period during which Amish youth are set free to explore -- and boy, do they -- the ''English,'' or outside, world before joining the...Devil's PlaygroundDocumentaryRumspringa, the period during which Amish youth are set free to explore -- and boy, do they -- the ''English,'' or outside, world before joining the...2003-02-21
Genre: Documentary; Director: Lucy Walker; Producer (person): Steven Cantor, Daniel Laikind
Posted February 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Underground' adds Aisha Hinds as Harriet Tubman for season 2
- '90210' actress wants actors' ages off casting sites to prevent ageism
- Doug Liman to direct 'Justice League Dark' for Warner Bros.
- PaleyFest: Made in NY to feature 'Daily Show,' 'Homeland,' 'Elementary'
- Hear a never-released George Carlin bit about hating the police
- The Weeknd teases new music
- Jennifer Holliday joining 'The Color Purple' revival
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...