Rumspringa, the period during which Amish youth are set free to explore – and boy, do they – the ”English,” or outside, world before joining the church, challenges our picturesque notions of a sect more associated with bonnets and buggies than with cars and drug dealers. Witness it ain’t, but Playground gives an unprecedented view into the good (simple life, sense of community) and bad (limited education, extreme conformity) of Amish life through the experiences of these oh-so-suddenly modern kids.
Devil's PlaygroundRumspringa, the period during which Amish youth are set free to explore -- and boy, do they -- the ''English,'' or outside, world before joining the...Devil's PlaygroundDocumentaryRumspringa, the period during which Amish youth are set free to explore -- and boy, do they -- the ''English,'' or outside, world before joining the...2003-02-21
Genre: Documentary; Director: Lucy Walker; Producer (person): Steven Cantor, Daniel Laikind
Posted February 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Justin Timberlake's illegal voting booth selfie is 'under review'
- 'This Is Us' preview: Creator Dan Fogelman on 'The Game Plan'
- Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid perform Justin Bieber's 'Baby'
- Bob Saget teases 'Fuller House' Thanksgiving episode with new photo
- Donald Trump says he has ‘no interest’ in Trump TV
- Australian 'Bachelor' contestants fall in love with each other
- Amy Schumer responds to backlash from 'Formation' parody video
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop