Rumspringa, the period during which Amish youth are set free to explore – and boy, do they – the ”English,” or outside, world before joining the church, challenges our picturesque notions of a sect more associated with bonnets and buggies than with cars and drug dealers. Witness it ain’t, but Playground gives an unprecedented view into the good (simple life, sense of community) and bad (limited education, extreme conformity) of Amish life through the experiences of these oh-so-suddenly modern kids.
Devil's PlaygroundRumspringa, the period during which Amish youth are set free to explore -- and boy, do they -- the ''English,'' or outside, world before joining the...Devil's PlaygroundDocumentaryRumspringa, the period during which Amish youth are set free to explore -- and boy, do they -- the ''English,'' or outside, world before joining the...2003-02-21
Genre: Documentary; Director: Lucy Walker; Producer (person): Steven Cantor, Daniel Laikind; Status: In Season
Posted February 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!