Based on another of Bret Easton Ellis’ misspent-youth novels, The Rules of Attraction follows a shallow drug-dealing student (James Van Der Beek), a cocaine-snorting nympho (Jessica Biel), and a host of befuddled coed cohorts into a twisted love triangle. But a racy satire of the dramatic minisocieties in a college wasteland gets lost in writer-director Roger Avary’s drug-induced haze, graphic exploits, and useless rapid-rewind flashbacks. The high point: watching a predatory himbo (Ian Somerhalder) reconnect with his inner Wham!, prancing in his undies to George Michael’s ”Faith.” And that’s not saying much.
(The Rules of Attraction: Lynn Alston)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Ian Somerhalder, Shannyn Sossamon, James Van Der Beek, Jessica Biel, Kate Bosworth, Faye Dunaway, Swoosie Kurtz, Kip Pardue, Fred Savage, Eric Stoltz; Director: Roger Avary; Author: Roger Avary; Release Date Wide: 10/11/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted February 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Shia LaBeouf arrested in Austin for public intoxication
- The 'Robot Chicken' cast can't stop talking about 'Pretty Little Liars'
- 'Mr. Robot' cast reveal how they recover from intense scenes
- Fox cuts 'Minority Report' order to 10 episodes
- 'Con Man' panel fulfilled our 'Firefly' dreams at New York Comic Con
- Clark Gregg on whether 'Agents of SHIELD' will ever encounter mutants
- Watch Aladdin and Jasmine reunite for 'A Whole New World'