Based on another of Bret Easton Ellis’ misspent-youth novels, The Rules of Attraction follows a shallow drug-dealing student (James Van Der Beek), a cocaine-snorting nympho (Jessica Biel), and a host of befuddled coed cohorts into a twisted love triangle. But a racy satire of the dramatic minisocieties in a college wasteland gets lost in writer-director Roger Avary’s drug-induced haze, graphic exploits, and useless rapid-rewind flashbacks. The high point: watching a predatory himbo (Ian Somerhalder) reconnect with his inner Wham!, prancing in his undies to George Michael’s ”Faith.” And that’s not saying much.
(The Rules of Attraction: Lynn Alston)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Ian Somerhalder, Shannyn Sossamon, James Van Der Beek, Jessica Biel, Kate Bosworth, Faye Dunaway, Swoosie Kurtz, Kip Pardue, Fred Savage, Eric Stoltz; Director: Roger Avary; Author: Roger Avary; Release Date Wide: 10/11/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted February 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer: 'Scream Queens' will be just 'as brutal' as 'American Horror Story'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- Dave Grohl's game of throne in D.C.
- Kit Harington: Buzz about his long hair
- Missy Elliott takes show into the crowd at Essence Fest
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!