Based on another of Bret Easton Ellis’ misspent-youth novels, The Rules of Attraction follows a shallow drug-dealing student (James Van Der Beek), a cocaine-snorting nympho (Jessica Biel), and a host of befuddled coed cohorts into a twisted love triangle. But a racy satire of the dramatic minisocieties in a college wasteland gets lost in writer-director Roger Avary’s drug-induced haze, graphic exploits, and useless rapid-rewind flashbacks. The high point: watching a predatory himbo (Ian Somerhalder) reconnect with his inner Wham!, prancing in his undies to George Michael’s ”Faith.” And that’s not saying much.
(The Rules of Attraction: Lynn Alston)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Ian Somerhalder, Shannyn Sossamon, James Van Der Beek, Jessica Biel, Kate Bosworth, Faye Dunaway, Swoosie Kurtz, Kip Pardue, Fred Savage, Eric Stoltz; Director: Roger Avary; Author: Roger Avary; Release Date Wide: 10/11/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted February 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Birth of a Nation' director Nate Parker to appear on '60 Minutes'
- Bon Iver played a surprise concert at Berlin hotel
- 'Empire': Listen to 'Infamous' by Mariah Carey, Jussie Smollett & cast
- Marvel's 'Black Panther' has found another villain
- Brad Pitt takes voluntary drug test for DCFS investigation
- 'Blindspot': Can Jane trust Roman?
- Rob Lowe took over our Instagram story to tour the 'Code Black' set