Cartoons aren’t just for Saturday mornings. Now they’re also about stepping out on Saturday night. NYC’s 1 on g boutique sells Astro Boy tees, while Heatherette’s Hello Kitty Couture clothes and accessories have found fans in Christina Aguilera and the Hilton sisters. Helmut Lang featured Felix the Cat tops and a dress on the runway, and Jean-Charles de Castelbajac just slipped a Mickey (Mouse, that is) on summer frocks. Pink-haired cyberpixie Eyeko appears on Nina and Max Leykind’s eyebeauty.com products – popular with Kylie Minogue and Cameron Diaz. The Peanuts gang appears on day-of-the-week undies (doeworld.com). Cartoons ”look back to an age of innocence,” says Nina Leykind, ”and immediately conjure up a sense of nostalgia that people find comforting in uncertain times.” Talk about staying in ‘toon.
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- 'Daily Show': Trevor Noah's name floats as possible host; get a quick intro to his work
- Jerry Seinfeld on Wale: 'He's got that true artistic spirit'
- 'Orphan Black' star Jordan Gavaris talks Felix
- Kids' Choice Awards host Nick Jonas answers questions from kids
- 'Walking Dead' star Tovah Feldshuh on Rick-Deanna showdown
- '12 Monkeys': Ramse arc 'planned from first minute'
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Jimmy Fallon, Liv Tyler, Emilia Clarke & More!