Fischerspooner are obsessed with a style of the ’80s: old-wave techno-pop (now called electroclash). Their debut, #1, has everything one would want from an album recorded in, say, 1982: farty synths and ping-pongy drum machines, a blood-drained singer, synthetic hand claps. It’s both impressive (the whooshy ”Emerge” and a cover of Wire’s ”The 15th”) and pointless. Thin songwriting doesn’t help either. The new element Fischerspooner bring to the table is kitsch: With their campy costumes and Twyla Tharp-on-X dance troupe, they’re as much a performance-art project as a group. The way the band cherishes and mocks its sources says a lot about what distinguishes the ’80s renaissance from previous revivals. Everybody may be walking on sunshine, but they’re winking all the while.
#1Fischerspooner are obsessed with a style of the '80s: old-wave techno-pop (now called electroclash). Their debut, #1, has everything one would want...#1ElectronicFischerspooner are obsessed with a style of the '80s: old-wave techno-pop (now called electroclash). Their debut, #1, has everything one would want...2003-02-24
(Fischer Spooner: Stephane Sednaoui)
Genre: Electronic; Producer (group): Capitol
Posted February 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Prince announces three-day Labor Day party ahead of album release
- ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween: Who's joining Harry Potter and Batman?
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!