It’s difficult to recommend a film about troubled children – here, hardcore Romanian street kids – that lacks even a glimmer of hope. However, grim as the Oscar-nominated Underground can be, with its shots of zoned-out preteen paint huffers, heartless brutality, and frustratingly helpless social workers, the doc’s very unsentimentality is its greatest strength. A happy ending would let the viewer off the hook; as it stands, the filmall but demands action.
Children UndergroundIt's difficult to recommend a film about troubled children -- here, hardcore Romanian street kids -- that lacks even a glimmer of hope. However, grim as...Children UndergroundDocumentaryIt's difficult to recommend a film about troubled children -- here, hardcore Romanian street kids -- that lacks even a glimmer of hope. However, grim as...2003-02-28
Genre: Documentary; Director: Edet Belzberg
Posted February 28 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday