It’s difficult to recommend a film about troubled children – here, hardcore Romanian street kids – that lacks even a glimmer of hope. However, grim as the Oscar-nominated Underground can be, with its shots of zoned-out preteen paint huffers, heartless brutality, and frustratingly helpless social workers, the doc’s very unsentimentality is its greatest strength. A happy ending would let the viewer off the hook; as it stands, the filmall but demands action.
Children UndergroundIt's difficult to recommend a film about troubled children -- here, hardcore Romanian street kids -- that lacks even a glimmer of hope. However, grim as...Children UndergroundDocumentaryIt's difficult to recommend a film about troubled children -- here, hardcore Romanian street kids -- that lacks even a glimmer of hope. However, grim as...2003-02-28
Genre: Documentary; Director: Edet Belzberg
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More