It’s difficult to recommend a film about troubled children – here, hardcore Romanian street kids – that lacks even a glimmer of hope. However, grim as the Oscar-nominated Underground can be, with its shots of zoned-out preteen paint huffers, heartless brutality, and frustratingly helpless social workers, the doc’s very unsentimentality is its greatest strength. A happy ending would let the viewer off the hook; as it stands, the filmall but demands action.
Children UndergroundIt's difficult to recommend a film about troubled children -- here, hardcore Romanian street kids -- that lacks even a glimmer of hope. However, grim as...Children UndergroundDocumentaryIt's difficult to recommend a film about troubled children -- here, hardcore Romanian street kids -- that lacks even a glimmer of hope. However, grim as...2003-02-28
Genre: Documentary; Director: Edet Belzberg
Posted February 28 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kanye West announces new album title
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!