It’s difficult to recommend a film about troubled children – here, hardcore Romanian street kids – that lacks even a glimmer of hope. However, grim as the Oscar-nominated Underground can be, with its shots of zoned-out preteen paint huffers, heartless brutality, and frustratingly helpless social workers, the doc’s very unsentimentality is its greatest strength. A happy ending would let the viewer off the hook; as it stands, the filmall but demands action.
Children UndergroundIt's difficult to recommend a film about troubled children -- here, hardcore Romanian street kids -- that lacks even a glimmer of hope. However, grim as...Children UndergroundDocumentaryIt's difficult to recommend a film about troubled children -- here, hardcore Romanian street kids -- that lacks even a glimmer of hope. However, grim as...2003-02-28
Genre: Documentary; Director: Edet Belzberg
Posted February 28 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- See the first trailer for Michael Bay's Benghazi movie
- Did 'Scream' just reveal the killer?
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!