Four junior wiseguys trying to prove themselves set out for cowpoke country to retrieve a big bag of misplaced money. Can’t you just picture the sleeping-with-the-fishes-out-of-water yuks? Surprise: ”Knockaround Guys” plays the premise straight, toying with familiar Mob themes of honor and betrayal while coming to a very slow boil. What keeps it (barely) watchable are Pepper’s moody intensity as the conflicted son of the big boss (Dennis Hopper), Diesel’s brawny cool as a low-level enforcer, and John Malkovich’s glazed hamminess as an old-school Brooklyn mobster. Whenever he’s on screen, the movie is sorta funny.
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Andrew Davoli, Vin Diesel, Seth Green, Barry Pepper, Dennis Hopper, John Malkovich, Tom Noonan; Director: Brian Koppelman, David Levien; Author: Brian Koppelman, David Levien; Release Date Wide: 10/11/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted February 28 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Krasinski & Corden recreate 'Pulp Fiction' in hilarious sketch
- What to Watch Thurs.: 'RuPaul's All Star Drag Race' changes the rules
- 'Empire lawsuit claims kids were mistreated during filming
- Classic album covers get the 'Star Wars' treatment
- 'Mr. Robot': Carly Chaikin on the big Darlene shocker
- Prince's Paisley Park estate will open for public tours in October
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...