Four junior wiseguys trying to prove themselves set out for cowpoke country to retrieve a big bag of misplaced money. Can’t you just picture the sleeping-with-the-fishes-out-of-water yuks? Surprise: ”Knockaround Guys” plays the premise straight, toying with familiar Mob themes of honor and betrayal while coming to a very slow boil. What keeps it (barely) watchable are Pepper’s moody intensity as the conflicted son of the big boss (Dennis Hopper), Diesel’s brawny cool as a low-level enforcer, and John Malkovich’s glazed hamminess as an old-school Brooklyn mobster. Whenever he’s on screen, the movie is sorta funny.
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Andrew Davoli, Vin Diesel, Seth Green, Barry Pepper, Dennis Hopper, John Malkovich, Tom Noonan; Director: Brian Koppelman, David Levien; Author: Brian Koppelman, David Levien; Release Date Wide: 10/11/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted February 28 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jack Black meets the cast of Broadway's 'School of Rock'
- See Ellen DeGeneres scare Chris Evans and Elizabeth Olsen
- See the Dixie Chicks cover Beyoncé's 'Daddy Lessons'
- New 'Call of Duty' teasers warn of a new enemy
- Beyoncé scores her sixth No. 1 album with 'Lemonade'
- Zac Efron once cried to try to get out of a ticket
- 'Friends' stars Matthew Perry and Matt LeBlanc reunite in London
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch