Four junior wiseguys trying to prove themselves set out for cowpoke country to retrieve a big bag of misplaced money. Can’t you just picture the sleeping-with-the-fishes-out-of-water yuks? Surprise: ”Knockaround Guys” plays the premise straight, toying with familiar Mob themes of honor and betrayal while coming to a very slow boil. What keeps it (barely) watchable are Pepper’s moody intensity as the conflicted son of the big boss (Dennis Hopper), Diesel’s brawny cool as a low-level enforcer, and John Malkovich’s glazed hamminess as an old-school Brooklyn mobster. Whenever he’s on screen, the movie is sorta funny.
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Andrew Davoli, Vin Diesel, Seth Green, Barry Pepper, Dennis Hopper, John Malkovich, Tom Noonan; Director: Brian Koppelman, David Levien; Author: Brian Koppelman, David Levien; Release Date Wide: 10/11/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted February 28 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!