Four junior wiseguys trying to prove themselves set out for cowpoke country to retrieve a big bag of misplaced money. Can’t you just picture the sleeping-with-the-fishes-out-of-water yuks? Surprise: ”Knockaround Guys” plays the premise straight, toying with familiar Mob themes of honor and betrayal while coming to a very slow boil. What keeps it (barely) watchable are Pepper’s moody intensity as the conflicted son of the big boss (Dennis Hopper), Diesel’s brawny cool as a low-level enforcer, and John Malkovich’s glazed hamminess as an old-school Brooklyn mobster. Whenever he’s on screen, the movie is sorta funny.
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Andrew Davoli, Vin Diesel, Seth Green, Barry Pepper, Dennis Hopper, John Malkovich, Tom Noonan; Director: Brian Koppelman, David Levien; Author: Brian Koppelman, David Levien; Release Date Wide: 10/11/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted February 28 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!