One of the most detailed and moving evocations of teenage years ever created, My So-Called Life was canceled by ABC after its first season due to poor ratings. Its cult grew with subsequent airings on MTV, and the series remains achingly moving and relevant. Claire Danes’ exquisitely nuanced performance as dreamy, brainy 15-year-old Angela Chase is nearly matched by everyone in the cast. Bess Armstrong gives a fearless portrayal of a mother torn between exerting discipline and letting go, while Wilson Cruz’s Rickie remains one of the most fully realized gay characters in any medium. Credit ”thirtysomething” alum Winnie Holzman as the behind-the-scenes writer-producer-auteur, and give Jared Leto props for embodying the perfect object of Angela’s lust: a post-James Dean, alienated hood-in-the-making who conveys both inner turmoil and outer hottiness just by closing his eyes and tilting his head skyward.
(My So Called Life: Mark Seliger/ABC)
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead' season finale: Our quick take on 'Conquer'--and yours?
- Justin Timberlake accepts iHeart Radio Innovator Award, recalls when 'they called me weird'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': First promo's here
- 'Once Upon a Time' tells Maleficent's child's story
- iHeart Radio Music Awards winners are...
- 'Mad Max: Fury Road' posts quartet of short teasers
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!