One of the most detailed and moving evocations of teenage years ever created, My So-Called Life was canceled by ABC after its first season due to poor ratings. Its cult grew with subsequent airings on MTV, and the series remains achingly moving and relevant. Claire Danes’ exquisitely nuanced performance as dreamy, brainy 15-year-old Angela Chase is nearly matched by everyone in the cast. Bess Armstrong gives a fearless portrayal of a mother torn between exerting discipline and letting go, while Wilson Cruz’s Rickie remains one of the most fully realized gay characters in any medium. Credit ”thirtysomething” alum Winnie Holzman as the behind-the-scenes writer-producer-auteur, and give Jared Leto props for embodying the perfect object of Angela’s lust: a post-James Dean, alienated hood-in-the-making who conveys both inner turmoil and outer hottiness just by closing his eyes and tilting his head skyward.
(My So Called Life: Mark Seliger/ABC)
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- Watch a brief history of the PG-13 rating
- Miley Cyrus, The Flaming Lips to release collaborative album
- Royal baby name: Charlotte Elizabeth Diana
- 'Winter Is Coming Live' recaps latest 'Game of Thrones' episode, 'Sons of the Harpy'
- Play as Batgirl in 'Batman: Arkham Knight' additional content
- 'Finding Neverland: The Album' to feature Nick Jonas, Jennifer Lopez, and more -- exclusive
- Miguel releases Wale-featuring 'Coffee (F---king)'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!