One of the most detailed and moving evocations of teenage years ever created, My So-Called Life was canceled by ABC after its first season due to poor ratings. Its cult grew with subsequent airings on MTV, and the series remains achingly moving and relevant. Claire Danes’ exquisitely nuanced performance as dreamy, brainy 15-year-old Angela Chase is nearly matched by everyone in the cast. Bess Armstrong gives a fearless portrayal of a mother torn between exerting discipline and letting go, while Wilson Cruz’s Rickie remains one of the most fully realized gay characters in any medium. Credit ”thirtysomething” alum Winnie Holzman as the behind-the-scenes writer-producer-auteur, and give Jared Leto props for embodying the perfect object of Angela’s lust: a post-James Dean, alienated hood-in-the-making who conveys both inner turmoil and outer hottiness just by closing his eyes and tilting his head skyward.
(My So Called Life: Mark Seliger/ABC)
Posted February 28 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!