) In her quirky first book, fair-haired London Times photography critic Pitman gets to the root of blond hair’s power by chronicling history’s most influential blondes and the measures that women – from rumored towhead Cleopatra to ambitious blonde Madonna – have taken to harness the power of golden locks. (The ancient Romans’ use of pigeon dung as a bleaching agent had this bottle blonde praising the wonders of L’Oreal.) Granted, the opening chapters are ridden with labored descriptions of lesser-known works of art and long-forgotten antiquity, but the second half is definitely a highlight. For example, did you know that when politically savvy Margaret Thatcher lightened up, she reportedly gained respect from foreign statesmen who were attracted to her ”uncompromising blonde helmet”? An engaging and dishy read, On Blondes will have power-hungry brunettes reaching for the peroxide.
On Blondes ) In her quirky first book, fair-haired London Times photography critic Pitman gets to the root of blond hair's power by chronicling history's most...On BlondesNonfictionJoanna Pitman ) In her quirky first book, fair-haired London Times photography critic Pitman gets to the root of blond hair's power by chronicling history's most...2003-03-07
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Joanna Pitman
Posted March 7 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I’m Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!