) In her quirky first book, fair-haired London Times photography critic Pitman gets to the root of blond hair’s power by chronicling history’s most influential blondes and the measures that women – from rumored towhead Cleopatra to ambitious blonde Madonna – have taken to harness the power of golden locks. (The ancient Romans’ use of pigeon dung as a bleaching agent had this bottle blonde praising the wonders of L’Oreal.) Granted, the opening chapters are ridden with labored descriptions of lesser-known works of art and long-forgotten antiquity, but the second half is definitely a highlight. For example, did you know that when politically savvy Margaret Thatcher lightened up, she reportedly gained respect from foreign statesmen who were attracted to her ”uncompromising blonde helmet”? An engaging and dishy read, On Blondes will have power-hungry brunettes reaching for the peroxide.
On Blondes ) In her quirky first book, fair-haired London Times photography critic Pitman gets to the root of blond hair's power by chronicling history's most...On BlondesNonfictionJoanna Pitman ) In her quirky first book, fair-haired London Times photography critic Pitman gets to the root of blond hair's power by chronicling history's most...2003-03-07
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Joanna Pitman
Posted March 7 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Faking It' season 2B supertease: Karma and Amy pretend to be a couple again — exclusive
- Why Bill Murray agreed to appear in the next 'Ghostbusters'
- Keith Richards talks solo album, documentary, and trying to get the Stones back in the studio
- 'Saturday Night Live' adds Jon Rudnitsky as cast member
- Rooney Mara helps Rio kids in new 'Trash' trailer
- What's expiring on Netflix in September
- Neve Campbell 'devastated' by Wes Craven's death
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!