Set in 1940s Trinidad amid an immigrant Hindu community, Ismail Merchant’s most recent picture is stunning to behold, but difficult to enjoy. Based on Nobel Prize winner V.S. Naipaul’s cautionary 1957 tale, the film follows the evolution of the ambitious Ganesh (Aasif Mandvi) from writer to mystic to politician. A menagerie of vivid characters, including his belching aunt (Zohra Segal) and conniving father-in-law (Om Puri), color his somewhat dreary ascent. It’s just too bad an unfocused plot and sluggish pace obscure such noteworthy performances.
The Mystic MasseurSet in 1940s Trinidad amid an immigrant Hindu community, Ismail Merchant's most recent picture is stunning to behold, but difficult to enjoy. Based on...The Mystic MasseurDramaCaryl PhillipsPT117MPGSet in 1940s Trinidad amid an immigrant Hindu community, Ismail Merchant's most recent picture is stunning to behold, but difficult to enjoy. Based on...2003-03-07James FoxOm PuriJames Fox, Om PuriTHINKFilm
Genre: Drama; Starring: Ayesha Dharker, Aasif Mandvi, James Fox, Om Puri; Director: Ismail Merchant; Author: Caryl Phillips; Runtime (in minutes): 117; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: THINKFilm
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Listen to EW's Sirius XM spotlight on the women of comedy, featuring Kristen Schaal
- De La Soul to fund new album via Kickstarter
- 'Flash'-'Arrow' spinoff finds its Hawkgirl: Broadway star Ciara Renee
- Wilco protests Indiana law, nixes concert
- Oxygen, Esquire Network partner on companion series 'Living With Funny,' 'Comedians of L.A.'
- 'The Flash': Mark Hamill on reprising Trickster role, bringing out epic 'Star Wars' nod
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!