Set in 1940s Trinidad amid an immigrant Hindu community, Ismail Merchant’s most recent picture is stunning to behold, but difficult to enjoy. Based on Nobel Prize winner V.S. Naipaul’s cautionary 1957 tale, the film follows the evolution of the ambitious Ganesh (Aasif Mandvi) from writer to mystic to politician. A menagerie of vivid characters, including his belching aunt (Zohra Segal) and conniving father-in-law (Om Puri), color his somewhat dreary ascent. It’s just too bad an unfocused plot and sluggish pace obscure such noteworthy performances.
The Mystic MasseurSet in 1940s Trinidad amid an immigrant Hindu community, Ismail Merchant's most recent picture is stunning to behold, but difficult to enjoy. Based on...The Mystic MasseurDramaCaryl PhillipsPT117MPGSet in 1940s Trinidad amid an immigrant Hindu community, Ismail Merchant's most recent picture is stunning to behold, but difficult to enjoy. Based on...2003-03-07James FoxOm PuriJames Fox, Om PuriTHINKFilm
Genre: Drama; Starring: Ayesha Dharker, Aasif Mandvi, James Fox, Om Puri; Director: Ismail Merchant; Author: Caryl Phillips; Runtime (in minutes): 117; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: THINKFilm
Posted March 7 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Diana Douglas, mother of Michael Douglas and ex-wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!