Set in 1940s Trinidad amid an immigrant Hindu community, Ismail Merchant’s most recent picture is stunning to behold, but difficult to enjoy. Based on Nobel Prize winner V.S. Naipaul’s cautionary 1957 tale, the film follows the evolution of the ambitious Ganesh (Aasif Mandvi) from writer to mystic to politician. A menagerie of vivid characters, including his belching aunt (Zohra Segal) and conniving father-in-law (Om Puri), color his somewhat dreary ascent. It’s just too bad an unfocused plot and sluggish pace obscure such noteworthy performances.
The Mystic MasseurSet in 1940s Trinidad amid an immigrant Hindu community, Ismail Merchant's most recent picture is stunning to behold, but difficult to enjoy. Based on...The Mystic MasseurDramaCaryl PhillipsPT117MPGSet in 1940s Trinidad amid an immigrant Hindu community, Ismail Merchant's most recent picture is stunning to behold, but difficult to enjoy. Based on...2003-03-07James FoxOm PuriJames Fox, Om PuriTHINKFilm
Genre: Drama; Starring: Ayesha Dharker, Aasif Mandvi, James Fox, Om Puri; Director: Ismail Merchant; Author: Caryl Phillips; Runtime (in minutes): 117; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: THINKFilm
Posted March 7 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman gets a tribute at the Indy 500--but it ends in a crash
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- 'Tomorrowland' leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!