Thank God someone has shown a little restraint with the last crop of reality shows: Blue-chip advertisers have largely avoided buying time in cheesefests such as ABC’s ”Are You Hot?” – leaving the nets scrounging for spots from the likes of Bowflex, Hair Club, and the E! channel, peddler of ”The Anna Nicole Show.” ”Hot,” which ranks third in its time slot and averages only 10.1 million viewers, gets upwards of $75,000 per 30-second commercial – if the space sells at all. In fact, almost half the ”ads” that ran during the Feb. 27 ”Hot” were promos for ABC series and other Disney-owned ventures. The good news for ABC is that when a reality show pulls in decent numbers, advertisers dismount their high horses. Big companies flocked to ”The Bachelorette,” for example, which was able to command a ”Friends”-like rate of $400,000 for some spots. ”For many buyers, big ratings make a lot of concerns over content go away,” says one rival network head. ”But ‘Hot’ is pure and simple T&A. What redeeming value is there in that?” Apparently not much – unless you’re hawking PastaPro.
(Are You Hot: Carol Kaelson)
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- 'Person of Interest' season 4 finale react: A new world order
- 'Forever' exec producer on Henry's secret--safe or out?
- Casting Net: Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett cast in James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Tom Brokaw vs. cancer: 'Dateline' special
- 'New Girl' react: A modest proposal
- 'New Girl' boss on that season finale shocker--and what's next
- 'Law & Order: SVU' welcomes back familiar faces; get the scoop, watch a sneak peek
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!