Submarine movies from ”Das Boot” through ”U-571” always have the same elements – the claustrophobic denseness, the salty crew, the thrill of a hull-popping descent; they’ve almost become fetishistic. ”Below” doesn’t disappoint – director David Twohy (”Pitch Black”) wields every creak, clank, and moan like a master of atmosphere (do yourself a favor and watch the DVD on a decent home theater for the full effect). If only all of that sound and fury signified something: The grafted-on ghost story leaves a nimble cast submerged beneath lots of spook, and the little substance present is floating just out of arm’s reach.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Horror; Starring: Matthew Davis, Bruce Greenwood, Olivia Williams, Scott Foley, Zach Galifianakis; Director: David Twohy; Author: Darren Aronofsky, Lucas Sussman; Release Date Wide: 10/11/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Dimension Films
Posted March 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Diana Douglas, mother of Michael Douglas and ex-wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, more celebs spend July 4 on Instagram, Twitter
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!