Submarine movies from ”Das Boot” through ”U-571” always have the same elements – the claustrophobic denseness, the salty crew, the thrill of a hull-popping descent; they’ve almost become fetishistic. ”Below” doesn’t disappoint – director David Twohy (”Pitch Black”) wields every creak, clank, and moan like a master of atmosphere (do yourself a favor and watch the DVD on a decent home theater for the full effect). If only all of that sound and fury signified something: The grafted-on ghost story leaves a nimble cast submerged beneath lots of spook, and the little substance present is floating just out of arm’s reach.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Horror; Starring: Matthew Davis, Bruce Greenwood, Olivia Williams, Scott Foley, Zach Galifianakis; Director: David Twohy; Author: Darren Aronofsky, Lucas Sussman; Release Date Wide: 10/11/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Dimension Films
Posted March 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Black Panther vs. Winter Soldier in 'Captain America: Civil War' clip
- Beyonce postpones 'Formation' tour's Nashville concert stop
- 'The Martian' extended cut has 10 minutes of extra footage
- Woody Harrelson denied medical marijuana dispensary license: Report
- WATCH: How Ryan Gosling put Margaret Qualley at ease on 'Nice Guys'
- 'That '70s Show' cast reunite on the set of Netflix's 'The Ranch'
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch