Submarine movies from ”Das Boot” through ”U-571” always have the same elements – the claustrophobic denseness, the salty crew, the thrill of a hull-popping descent; they’ve almost become fetishistic. ”Below” doesn’t disappoint – director David Twohy (”Pitch Black”) wields every creak, clank, and moan like a master of atmosphere (do yourself a favor and watch the DVD on a decent home theater for the full effect). If only all of that sound and fury signified something: The grafted-on ghost story leaves a nimble cast submerged beneath lots of spook, and the little substance present is floating just out of arm’s reach.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Horror; Starring: Matthew Davis, Bruce Greenwood, Olivia Williams, Scott Foley, Zach Galifianakis; Director: David Twohy; Author: Darren Aronofsky, Lucas Sussman; Release Date Wide: 10/11/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Dimension Films
Posted March 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode: 'It was an important one for us'
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' at 35: Horror director Ted Geoghegan pays tribute
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon take 'Roxanne' to barbershop
- 'Mad Max' gets the 'Mario Kart' mashup it deserves
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!