Submarine movies from ”Das Boot” through ”U-571” always have the same elements – the claustrophobic denseness, the salty crew, the thrill of a hull-popping descent; they’ve almost become fetishistic. ”Below” doesn’t disappoint – director David Twohy (”Pitch Black”) wields every creak, clank, and moan like a master of atmosphere (do yourself a favor and watch the DVD on a decent home theater for the full effect). If only all of that sound and fury signified something: The grafted-on ghost story leaves a nimble cast submerged beneath lots of spook, and the little substance present is floating just out of arm’s reach.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Horror; Starring: Matthew Davis, Bruce Greenwood, Olivia Williams, Scott Foley, Zach Galifianakis; Director: David Twohy; Author: Darren Aronofsky, Lucas Sussman; Release Date Wide: 10/11/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Dimension Films
Posted March 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Scream' bosses on tragic first death and what's next
- '12 Monkeys' boss on that heartbreaking double loss
- Uhura, Sulu, Scotty prepare for war in new 'Star Trek Beyond' posters
- T.J. Miller's filibustering cracks Ellen DeGeneres up
- Bono joins Bruce Springsteen in Dublin for 'Because the Night'
- Stan Lee says he didn't go to strip club for 'Deadpool' cameo
- 'Harry Potter' star Matthew Lewis remembers Alan Rickman
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers