Submarine movies from ”Das Boot” through ”U-571” always have the same elements – the claustrophobic denseness, the salty crew, the thrill of a hull-popping descent; they’ve almost become fetishistic. ”Below” doesn’t disappoint – director David Twohy (”Pitch Black”) wields every creak, clank, and moan like a master of atmosphere (do yourself a favor and watch the DVD on a decent home theater for the full effect). If only all of that sound and fury signified something: The grafted-on ghost story leaves a nimble cast submerged beneath lots of spook, and the little substance present is floating just out of arm’s reach.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Horror; Starring: Matthew Davis, Bruce Greenwood, Olivia Williams, Scott Foley, Zach Galifianakis; Director: David Twohy; Author: Darren Aronofsky, Lucas Sussman; Release Date Wide: 10/11/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Dimension Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- Box-office report: 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart'
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis on present (two Tribeca films), past ('SNL'), and future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!