GAME Amplitude [Sony; PS2] TRACKS BY blink-182, Garbage, P.O.D., Pink, Slipknot, Papa Roach, the X-Ecutioners, David Bowie, Weezer THEME In the game, songs are rendered visually as neon highways, with each lane representing a different musical part – drum, bass, guitar, vocals – that players remix by navigating in a spiffy spacecraft. To win, zoom around the track and tap buttons in time – move fast enough, and tap accurately enough, and the song comes to life. PLAYABILITY Each level is based on a recognizable hit single. But since contestants can rip through, say, Pink’s ”Respect” in a different way each go-round, no level – or song – ever has to be the same, making Amplitude infinitely replayable. And the levels become more difficult when the tune is already a remix, as with the X-Ecutioners’ scratchy overhaul of Run-DMC’s ”King of Rock.” Once disassembled, even the seemingly straightforward power-chord rumblings of P.O.D. and Weezer reveal the kind of complexity that usually only pops up during repeated headphone exposure. It all requires plenty of concentration and some dicey piloting, but don’t worry, Amplitude is still entirely booty-shake compatible. GRADE: A
Posted March 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!