There’s nothing cornier than a lank-haired white chick with an acoustic guitar whining about life’s and love’s inequities, right? Okay, we admit Joni Mitchell is an exception. So is alt-rock vet Kristin Hersh, who just dropped a corker of a solo acoustic album, The Grotto (4AD/Beggars Group). There’s something in Hersh’s hushed, otherworldly hymns about dysfunction and off-center mental states that’s deeply unsettling – in all the right ways. ”Snow buries Whitehall/White powdered Nembutal/And I can’t think anymore,” she sings on ”Sno Cat,” and you know she’s felt and lived that chill. Concurrent with ”The Grotto”’s release comes a new, eponymous album by Hersh’s band, Throwing Muses. It rocks pretty good, but we’d really rather hear Hersh in stripped-down mode. She’s got our vote for the title Ice Queen of Acoustic Ladyland.
The GrottoThere's nothing cornier than a lank-haired white chick with an acoustic guitar whining about life's and love's inequities, right? Okay, we admit Joni...The GrottoThere's nothing cornier than a lank-haired white chick with an acoustic guitar whining about life's and love's inequities, right? Okay, we admit Joni...2003-03-14
(Kristen Hersh: Brad Miller/Retna)
Lead Performer: Kristin Hersh; Producer (group): 4AD, Beggars Group
Posted March 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kings of Leon confirms 7th studio album is on the way
- 'Agent Carter' exclusive: Who's returning for season 2?
- Who should replace Donald Trump as host of 'The Apprentice'?
- Donald Trump is suing Univision
- You can now listen to Matt Bomer cover D'Angelo
- 'Mighty Morphin Power Rangers' comics are coming: EW exclusive reveal of Green Ranger cover
- Ben Affleck, Jennifer Garner to divorce
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!