The term jarhead refers to a U.S. Marine’s high-and-tight haircut. But in a brutally honest memoir about his hitch in the Corps during the last Gulf War, Swofford explains that he was a jarhead long before boot camp (his father was a Vietnam vet and his bloodline had bled olive green for generations). He begins by taking us through the frat-house hazing of barracks life. But when he’s shipped off to Operation Desert Storm, M*A*S*H-style anarchy segues into gut-wrenching frontline reportage: the oil fires and petrol rain, the threat of chemical weapons, the sand seeping into each body crevice. Swofford wasn’t numbed by war. If anything, his senses – as both soldier and storyteller – came to life. He grieves not only for the fallen enemy but also his own loss of innocence as a teen who thirsted for combat, tasted it, and didn’t like it.
Jarhead The term jarhead refers to a U.S. Marine's high-and-tight haircut. But in a brutally honest memoir about his hitch in the Corps during the last Gulf War...JarheadNonfictionAnthony Swofford The term jarhead refers to a U.S. Marine's high-and-tight haircut. But in a brutally honest memoir about his hitch in the Corps during the last Gulf War...2003-03-14Scribner
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Anthony Swofford; Publisher: Scribner
Posted March 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- First look at the new 'Ghostbusters' uniforms
- Big Sean's 'Play No Games' video is a spot-on parody of 'Martin'
- Floyd Mayweather, Katy Perry top Forbes' Celebrity 100 list
- Vertigo comic book movies headed to New Line
- Marvel’s 'Ant-Man' L.A. premiere livestream: Watch the red carpet arrivals here at 9 ET/6 PT
- Chris Pratt as Jason Statham in now-surfaced 'SNL' deleted sketch
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: New EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Rita Ora, Matthew, Darren & Jennifer, Brandy & More!