It’s not uncommon for people to wax philosophical while sitting behind the wheel of a car, and the single-shot, semi-improvisatory ”dashboard cam” monologue has become Abbas Kiarostami’s signature trope: It is to the celebrated Iranian director what circuses were to Fellini or the silence of God was to Bergman. Ten, in form, is a variation on Kiarostami’s 1998 ”Taste of Cherry,” only this time the designated driver isn’t mired in monosyllabic gloom. She’s a beautiful, feisty, divorced single mother in her 30s, wearing a head scarf but also chic sunglasses (think Catherine Zeta-Jones in the land of Islam), who carries on a series of dialogues with her extraordinarily bratty and articulate preteen son, her far less liberated sister, and, in one amazing scene that sounds as if it might have come out of a Tehran edition of ”Taxicab Confessions,” a prostitute. This isn’t the land of hushed, dawdling subservience we’re used to from previous Iranian films – that world of mute children and furtive, often childlike adults. It is, rather, a glimpse into a society that has grown more open, more free, and also more casually selfish in its interpersonal aggression. Mania Akbari, as the unnamed driver, seems to shoulder all of the film’s contradictions in her world-weary yet spirited defiance.
(Ten: Zeitgeist Films)
Genre: Foreign Language, Drama; Starring: Mania Akbari, Amin Maher; Director: Abbas Kiarostami; Author: Abbas Kiarostami; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Zeitgeist Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage spotlight: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!