Though not Kurosawa’s final film, Dreams is certainly a potent – if occasionally overwrought – autumnal statement by the director, who died in 1998. It’s eight statements, really – a series of vignettes that reflect on everything from the power of guilt to the horror of nuclear apocalypse. The tales can be pedantic slogs, but their awesome visual beauty encourages a degree of patience that’s usually well rewarded. ”The Blizzard,” about stranded hikers who are saved by a snow fairy, is riveting for all that can’t be seen, while ”The Tunnel,” which portrays a reunion between an army commander and deceased soldiers, succeeds because of its eerily static tableau. Most entertaining is ”Crows,” in which an art student finds himself literally immersed in the paintings of Vincent van Gogh…played by an oddly comedic Martin Scorsese. Alas, ”Dreams”’ DVD debut is bare-boned, with no extras recalling the cinematic stories behind Kurosawa’s stories, and no commentary.
(Akira Kurosawa's Dreams:Warner)
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Foreign Language; Starring: Chishu Ryu, Akira Terao, Mitsunori Isaki, Toshihiko Nakano, Martin Scorsese; Director: Akira Kurosawa; Author: Akira Kurosawa; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted March 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!