On his fifth album, Diamonds on the Inside, Harper and his Innocent Criminals segue from reggae to rock to funk to blues and even gospel with terrifying ease. The result could be mere Xerox rock, but Harper’s distinctive and committed vocals both unify and lift the music above homage. The reverence with which the band approaches its reconstructive craft, however, leaves little room for wit, or even meaning (not that songs like ”Touch From Your Lust” require much exegesis). Harper’s got very little to say, but at least he says it beautifully.
(Ben Harper: Anthony Mandler/Corbis Outline)
Lead Performer: Ben Harper; Producer (group): Virgin, Virgin Records
Posted March 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters