Everything good in this shallow, California-dreamin’ indie belongs to the sexy, worldly-wise performance of Frances McDormand, a record producer as famous for her sex life as for her musical hits. Everything irritating is condensed into the fussy performances of Christian Bale and Kate Beckinsale as the rock mama’s priggish adult son and his even more humorless, whining fiancee. Chill, kids.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Christian Bale, Kate Beckinsale, Frances McDormand, Lou Barlow, Natascha McElhone, Alessandro Nivola; Director: Lisa Cholodenko; Author: Lisa Cholodenko; Release Date Limited: 03/07/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted March 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'War for the Planet of the Apes' reveals first plot details
- Anna Kendrick grieves over 'Great British Baking Show' host departures
- Grumpy Cat makes Broadway debut with the cast of 'Cats'
- 'The Tonight Show': James Marsden sings Kenny Rogers to 'get the girl'
- Clive Owen, Dakota Fanning go fast and furious for BMW short film
- Bill Maher and Sarah Silverman call Gary Johnson 'a f---ing idiot'
- Nathan Lane calls Donald Trump a 'bloated piece of candy corn'