Now in its 10th season, Steven Bochco’s durable detective show has settled into such a familiar groove that it rarely surprises. But to revisit its rule-breaking first season is to remember what all the original fuss was about. It wasn’t just the raunchy dialogue or bare-butt bedroom scenes; it was also the complex, character-driven stories of cops solving usually sordid crimes while grappling with their own demons. Dennis Franz’s ornery, bigoted, alcoholic Andy Sipowicz remains one of prime time’s most compelling characters, but the early center of the NYPD Blue universe was his first partner, John Kelly (David Caruso), a bristlingly intense, tortured tough guy who was, in his smoldering way, as volatile as Sipowicz. With respect to Jimmy Smits, no subsequent costar has created such potent chemistry.
(NYPD Blue:Timothy White/ABC Archive)
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- Miguel announces release date for new album 'Wildheart'
- Jon Hamm takes lead in Tony Gilroy's 'High Wire Act'
- 'Big Bang Theory' finale: Is someone going to break up?
- Jason Clarke, Rosamund Pike to star in WWII drama
- Everything we know about 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Key & Peele imagine a world without racism in new sketch
- Hot Chocolate singer Errol Brown dies at age 71
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!