In telling the story of Joan (Sigourney Weaver), a Manhattan journalist who helps a fire captain (Anthony LaPaglia) compose eulogies for some of the eight men in his company who died on Sept. 11, playwright Anne Nelson drew on her own experiences. Her work, directed on stage by Jim Simpson and here shaped by him into a small, heartfelt film, was one of the first artistic responses to the engulfing tragedy, and it’s ardent with a desire to mourn the dead and bond with the living. In the character of the journalist, however – an upper-middle-class woman of taste and self-regard who’d otherwise be at home in a Nora Ephron movie – a distracting narcissism often gets in the way of the honorable intentions. Every time the camera pulls in close while Joan composes speeches based on the captain’s recollections of his ”guys,” the mood of compassion is interrupted by Weaver’s typing face, signifying how cathartic it is to write on an iMac.
(The Guys: Robin Holland)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Anthony LaPaglia, Sigourney Weaver, Charlotte Simpson, Jim Simpson, Irene Walsh; Director: Jim Simpson; Author: Anne Nelson, Jim Simpson; Release Date Limited: 12/13/2002; Release Date Wide: 03/28/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 88; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted March 26 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Secrets of BB-8: An EW 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' video
- 'Arrow' star David Ramsey shares his theories on who's in the grave
- Everything you need to know about Apollo Creed before seeing 'Creed'
- Rosie O'Donnell calls Donald Trump's campaign 'a nightmare'
- Vine star thanks little boy who stood up to her catcaller
- The new 'Men in Black' movie will have a woman in black
- Bindi Irwin hopes father Steve would be proud of her 'DWTS' win
- Taraji P. Henson's Biggest Moments in 2015
- Holiday Gift Guide: For the TV Fanatic
- 19 TV Families That Will Make You Thankful for Yours
- Literature's 8 Most Dysfunctional Thanksgiving Dinners
- 'Captain America: Civil War': Decoding the New Trailer
- EW's Entertainers of the Year pick their Entertainers of the Year