Hilary Duff and Amanda Bynes are about to graduate to the big time. On the heels of ”Agent Cody Banks”’ $14 million weekend, Disney Channel staple Duff is gearing up for the May 2 big-screen version of her quirky comedy ”Lizzie McGuire” and is set to star in Warner Bros. ”A Cinderella Story.” (We’ll see whether she appears in MGM’s just-announced Banks sequel.) ”It’s her combination of empowerment and vulnerability that’s accessible,” says Disney Channel exec Rich Ross, who agreed to end McGuire’s 65-episode run so that Duff could launch her film career. ”She’s authentic – you won’t see her on the cover of Maxim.” Meanwhile, Nickelodeon alum Bynes, who now stars on The WB’s ”What I Like About You,” plays a free-spirited teen in ”What a Girl Wants,” opening April 4. ”Everyone wanted this part,” says director Dennie Gordon. ”Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, Alexis Bledel…but when I met Amanda, I knew she was the one to carry the movie. The boys think she’s hot, and the girls think she could be their best friend.”
(Hilary Duff: Paul Smith/Retna)
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- Justin Timberlake thanks mom, wife, and everyone who called him 'different' accepting iHeart Radio's Innovator Award
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': First promo's here
- 'Once Upon a Time' reveals what happened to Maleficent's child
- iHeart Radio Music Awards winners are...
- 'Mad Max: Fury Road' posts quartet of short teasers
- Gene Saks, Tony-winning director, dies
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!