Hilary Duff and Amanda Bynes are about to graduate to the big time. On the heels of ”Agent Cody Banks”’ $14 million weekend, Disney Channel staple Duff is gearing up for the May 2 big-screen version of her quirky comedy ”Lizzie McGuire” and is set to star in Warner Bros. ”A Cinderella Story.” (We’ll see whether she appears in MGM’s just-announced Banks sequel.) ”It’s her combination of empowerment and vulnerability that’s accessible,” says Disney Channel exec Rich Ross, who agreed to end McGuire’s 65-episode run so that Duff could launch her film career. ”She’s authentic – you won’t see her on the cover of Maxim.” Meanwhile, Nickelodeon alum Bynes, who now stars on The WB’s ”What I Like About You,” plays a free-spirited teen in ”What a Girl Wants,” opening April 4. ”Everyone wanted this part,” says director Dennie Gordon. ”Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, Alexis Bledel…but when I met Amanda, I knew she was the one to carry the movie. The boys think she’s hot, and the girls think she could be their best friend.”
(Hilary Duff: Paul Smith/Retna)
Posted March 26 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Marion Cotillard, Jason Derulo, Serena Williams and More!