In this irresistible guide to hillbilly’s most haunting songs, Cantwell and Friskics-Warren’s prose often delivers the loose thrill and emotional immediacy of the music itself. They describe the ”itchy guitar lick” on Bobbie Gentry’s ”Ode to Billie Joe” as ”the sonic equivalent of someone picking a scab or scratching a mosquito bite.” And Jerry Lee Lewis’ ”Great Balls of Fire” is so randy that ”the Killer could be speaking in tongues and it would still sound like lust.” Small irritants abound: Dolly Parton hails from the Smoky Mountains, not the Blue Ridge, and ”Don’t Be Cruel” can’t possibly be the first Nashville Sound recording. Still, this is required reading for anyone who’s ever swooned at the sound of a steel guitar.
Heartaches by the Number: Country Music's 500 Greatest Singles In this irresistible guide to hillbilly's most haunting songs, Cantwell and Friskics-Warren's prose often delivers the loose thrill and emotional...Heartaches by the Number: Country Music's 500 Greatest SinglesNonfictionDavid Cantwell, Bill Friskics-Warren In this irresistible guide to hillbilly's most haunting songs, Cantwell and Friskics-Warren's prose often delivers the loose thrill and emotional...2003-03-28
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: David Cantwell, Bill Friskics-Warren
Posted March 28 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Casting Net: Julia Roberts signs on for 'Mother’s Day'
- 'Parks and Rec' alum Retta will host the 'Orphan Black' panel at Comic-Con
- Original Mickey Mouse Club to reunite at Disney's D23
- Apple's appeal denied in ebook antitrust case
- 'Creed': Watch the first trailer for the 'Rocky' spinoff
- Apple's Beats 1 radio will be censoring music
- How do Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy compare?
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!