In this irresistible guide to hillbilly’s most haunting songs, Cantwell and Friskics-Warren’s prose often delivers the loose thrill and emotional immediacy of the music itself. They describe the ”itchy guitar lick” on Bobbie Gentry’s ”Ode to Billie Joe” as ”the sonic equivalent of someone picking a scab or scratching a mosquito bite.” And Jerry Lee Lewis’ ”Great Balls of Fire” is so randy that ”the Killer could be speaking in tongues and it would still sound like lust.” Small irritants abound: Dolly Parton hails from the Smoky Mountains, not the Blue Ridge, and ”Don’t Be Cruel” can’t possibly be the first Nashville Sound recording. Still, this is required reading for anyone who’s ever swooned at the sound of a steel guitar.
Heartaches by the Number: Country Music's 500 Greatest Singles In this irresistible guide to hillbilly's most haunting songs, Cantwell and Friskics-Warren's prose often delivers the loose thrill and emotional...Heartaches by the Number: Country Music's 500 Greatest SinglesNonfictionDavid Cantwell, Bill Friskics-Warren In this irresistible guide to hillbilly's most haunting songs, Cantwell and Friskics-Warren's prose often delivers the loose thrill and emotional...2003-03-28
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: David Cantwell, Bill Friskics-Warren
Posted March 28 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Max Joseph shares 10 great songs from 'We Are Your Friends' you can't find on the soundtrack
- Matt Damon talks about Snowden's influence on 'The Bourne Legacy'
- Michael Shannon channels Donald Trump in exclusive '99 Homes' clip
- What to expect from Justin Bieber's new album
- 'Big Brother' host Julie Chen: 'I'm surprised Austin has lasted this long'
- Here's everyone who is coming to the VMAs on Sunday
- Twitter thinks Taylor Swift will win Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!