Two years out of Princeton, a shy, fair-haired American on an airport runway meets a Middle Eastern monarch two inches shorter than her. Before long, Lisa Halaby has packed away her Dr. Scholl’s sandals, blue jeans, and plans for a journalism career to convert to Islam and become Queen Noor of Jordan. (She confesses she never has liked the name Lisa much.) An unlikely plot makes her memoir compelling, but the queen’s pride of purpose, largely untarnished by personal vanity, gives it stature. More interested in treaties than tiaras, Queen Noor chronicles her husband King Hussein’s long, bitter struggle for peace, cut short by his 1999 death from cancer. En route, she engagingly describes her uneasy adjustment to a court life so public that often she and her husband could confer privately only in their bathroom.
Leap of Faith: Memoirs of an Unexpected Life Two years out of Princeton, a shy, fair-haired American on an airport runway meets a Middle Eastern monarch two inches shorter than her. Before long,...Leap of Faith: Memoirs of an Unexpected LifeNonfictionQueen Noor Two years out of Princeton, a shy, fair-haired American on an airport runway meets a Middle Eastern monarch two inches shorter than her. Before long,...2003-03-28
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Queen Noor
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!