In this kaleidoscopic grungefest, a group of pretty young crystal-meth junkies bounce off one another like pinballs. The director, Jonas Akerlund, uses stroboscopic cuts, shock sound, and triple-X animated imagery to put us inside the experience of a crank high. Akerlund has an instinct for dirtbag theatrics. Spun is accomplished, but it’s also numbing. The cast, slumming for cred, includes Jason Schwartzman, Mena Suvari, and Mickey Rourke, who reigns over the film because he’s the one freak on hand who isn’t faking his freakishness.
Genre: Drama; Starring: John Leguizamo, Brittany Murphy, Mickey Rourke, Jason Schwartzman, Mena Suvari, Patrick Fugit, Deborah Harry, Ron Jeremy, Eric Roberts, Peter Stormare; Director: Jonas Akerlund; Author: Will De Los Santos, Creighton Vero; Release Date Limited: 03/14/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 96; Distributor: New Market
Posted March 28 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine': The 9 best lines from 'The Funeral'
- How 'Blindspot' is hiding more clues in plain sight
- Goo Goo Dolls announce 'A Boy Named Goo' 20th anniversary release
- Britney Spears cameos at Kate Hudson's game night
- Selma Blair on her 'American Crime Story' role: ‘I happen to love Kris Jenner’
- Hasbro says four more 'Transformers' sequels are on the way
- Emilia Clarke and Jason Momoa had a 'Game of Thrones' reunion