In this kaleidoscopic grungefest, a group of pretty young crystal-meth junkies bounce off one another like pinballs. The director, Jonas Akerlund, uses stroboscopic cuts, shock sound, and triple-X animated imagery to put us inside the experience of a crank high. Akerlund has an instinct for dirtbag theatrics. Spun is accomplished, but it’s also numbing. The cast, slumming for cred, includes Jason Schwartzman, Mena Suvari, and Mickey Rourke, who reigns over the film because he’s the one freak on hand who isn’t faking his freakishness.
Genre: Drama; Starring: John Leguizamo, Brittany Murphy, Mickey Rourke, Jason Schwartzman, Mena Suvari, Patrick Fugit, Deborah Harry, Ron Jeremy, Eric Roberts, Peter Stormare; Director: Jonas Akerlund; Author: Will De Los Santos, Creighton Vero; Release Date Limited: 03/14/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 96; Distributor: New Market
Posted March 28 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Patti Smith covers Bob Dylan at Nobel Prize ceremony
- 'Silence' reviews: Martin Scorsese's grand epic becomes dull roar
- 'GOTG 2' director James Gunn says Baby Groot isn't a marketing ploy
- Tim Miller on his 'Deadpool 2' exit: 'Don't believe what you read'
- Carrie Fisher feels 'guilty' over publicity of Harrison Ford affair
- Dwayne Johnson has been milking his 'Sexiest Man Alive' title at home
- Kirk Douglas celebrates 100th birthday with lavish party