In this kaleidoscopic grungefest, a group of pretty young crystal-meth junkies bounce off one another like pinballs. The director, Jonas Akerlund, uses stroboscopic cuts, shock sound, and triple-X animated imagery to put us inside the experience of a crank high. Akerlund has an instinct for dirtbag theatrics. Spun is accomplished, but it’s also numbing. The cast, slumming for cred, includes Jason Schwartzman, Mena Suvari, and Mickey Rourke, who reigns over the film because he’s the one freak on hand who isn’t faking his freakishness.
Genre: Drama; Starring: John Leguizamo, Brittany Murphy, Mickey Rourke, Jason Schwartzman, Mena Suvari, Patrick Fugit, Deborah Harry, Ron Jeremy, Eric Roberts, Peter Stormare; Director: Jonas Akerlund; Author: Will De Los Santos, Creighton Vero; Runtime (in minutes): 96; Distributor: New Market
Posted March 28 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles
- 'Agents of SHIELD' eyes Skye's arc: 'Birth of a superhero'