Do you want your ”Rabbit” as a kiddie meal or super-sized with adult side dishes? In reissuing Who Framed Roger Rabbit, its freak-hit salute to old-Hollywood cartoon stars and detective thrillers, Disney has made the dubious decision to aim this two-disc package at what it considers mutually exclusive audiences. Disc 1, labeled ”Family Friendly,” crops the original movie to fill the TV screen (aren’t there families who hate pan-and-scan?) and throws in a lame interactive game, plus three headache-inducing ”Roger Rabbit” shorts. (They’re as sadistic as any ”Itchy & Scratchy,” but with none of the laughs.) Disc 2, for the ”Enthusiast,” properly letterboxes all the Mad-magazine-style sight gags jammed in by director Robert Zemeckis and includes some straight-shooting commentary from the filmmakers, as well as lots of archival photos and concept art. Funniest fact: The screenwriters wanted to reveal villain Judge Doom (Christopher Lloyd) as the man who’d shot the mama deer in ”Bambi,” but Disney execs nixed the idea. What family wouldn’t want to know that?
(Who Framed Roger Rabbit)
Genre: Animation, Comedy; Starring: Joanna Cassidy, Charles Fleischer, Bob Hoskins, Christopher Lloyd, Kathleen Turner; Director: Robert Zemeckis; Author: Jeffrey Price, Peter Seaman; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Touchstone Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- Drake stunts on remix of Fetty Wap cut 'My Way'
- Miguel faces lawsuit from victim of his failed Billboard Music Awards leap
- Syfy and Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television developing 'Brave New World' series
- 'Nick Arcade' creators reunite for new game show on Kickstarter
- 'Criminal Minds' finale sneak peek: Will the BAU find Kate's daughter?
- 'Once Upon a Time' finale first look: Who's going to die?
- Chipotle essay contest for students lets winners get published -- on Chipotle cups
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!