As Willard Stiles, a moistly quivering loser who makes friends with the rats in his basement because they’re the only creatures around who don’t threaten his self-esteem, Crispin Glover builds each scene to an elegant crescendo of fear and loathing and operatic hysteria. The new version, like the 1971 hit, is a fairly ham-handed horror fable, but you don’t go to a movie like this one for subtlety. You go to be skeeved out by rats, rats, and more rats, and Willard does a fairly rat-tastic job of it.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Horror; Starring: Crispin Glover, Laura Elena Harring, Jackie Burroughs, R. Lee Ermey, Kristen Cloke, David Parker; Director: Glen Morgan; Author: Glen Morgan, James Wong; Release Date Wide: 03/14/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted March 28 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Empire': Lawsuit claims kids were mistreated during filming at youth detention center
- Classic album covers get the 'Star Wars' treatment
- 'Mr. Robot': Carly Chaikin on the big Darlene shocker
- Prince's Paisley Park estate will open for public tours in October
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch as Bryce Harper holds her medals
- 'Serial': Adnan Syed alibi witness shoots down attempts to discredit her
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...